HELP; Lots of smoke. :(

*Jonnyg*

Hey up. So with these floods around the UK, My lupo SDI picked alot of water up, the engine stalled. Wouldn't start back up, So a mate towed it, stuck it in 2nd, let the clutch go and nothing, So tried 3rd gear, and again nothing. So pulled in, tried started again with the key and it did more then just the ' click ', so towed it again and it started. Very rough, but it started.

So, Left it to tick over, and it smoked like hell. Drove it 80 miles, and used 20 quid of diesel, which is shocking! Am not sure if its bent a few valves, or ruined a injector. I stripped the airbox off, and they wasn't any water or wetness. So must be something different.

Any ideas?

You've either damaged an Injector by hydro locking the **** out of the engine, or knocked the timing out by trying to turn over a hydro locked engine at speed.

When you flood an engine, the worst thing you can do is try and turn it over, water doesn't compress like air does. It will cause some damage somewhere.

You should remove the glow plugs before doing anything like that to allow the water to escape without damaging something.

Check your timing, and then check all your injectors, also check to see if your actually running on all cylinders, you could have killed a glow plug and one cylinder isn't actually working.

I did this once on my 306 diesel. I went through a ford, forgetting the air filter is at the bottom of the car, I never found much water in the intake system either. But the engine was full.

I took the glow plugs out, put it in gear and pushed it down a hill. It was like a scene from fantasia!

Glow plugs back in and started first time. I loved that car, it was indestructible!

Jihn

No rattling, no knocks or bangs. Just really down on power, smoking, and really bad on fuel. Its got a slight misfire. Not sure if it is injector or timing tho. Don't really fancy taking it to a garage for them to guess, and charge me over the moon for it. I've done 100 miles since it cut out now tho, and no change.

Err, it went up the wheels but It splashed over the bonnet , engine cut out pretty much straight away. The engine sounds normal to be fair, they is slight misfire but not a massive one and lots of white smoke ... I have done a video of engine too but am on my phone atm so can't post it

Check the timing out, doesn't sound bad for an sdi but it could've slipped a tooth or two from the stall, and chucking in fuel at the wrong time, that's where I'd look for starters anyway before worrying about getting the head off.