Lupo GTI engine temperature?

J.K.jr.bad.

Hi!

Perhaps some of GTI owners can help me to sort out one problem that is related to engine temperature. On panel everything is fine, but looking via VCDS I can't get more then 73C degrees.

Thermostat and temperature sensors are new and OEM. GTI model has its own thermostat which opens at 80C degrees not at 87C like on other Lupo's.

I know that this car has been chipped some time ago by previous owner. Perhaps some wrong program has been used and now wrong coolant temperature is given to ECU... :question:

Could be any number of things, but unless you're actually experiencing running issues, i wouldn't worry about it. If the temperature gauge sits at half way then you don't really have any reason to fret.

Possible causes;

Cool running thermostat

No thermostat at all

VCDS isn't accurate

Cold weather is having an effect on the normal operating temp

VCDS may take the temp reading from somewhere other than the normal temp sensor? Just a guess...

Fan running all the time?

Blowers are cooling the engine due to blowing air through the heater matrix.

Hi!

Possible causes;

Cool running thermostat: New OEM thermostat

No thermostat at all: see previous

VCDS isn't accurate: Don't know about this. I have original Ross-Tech cable + latest soft

Cold weather is having an effect on the normal operating temp: The same situation was in summer as well

VCDS may take the temp reading from somewhere other than the normal temp sensor? Just a guess... : That is question to VAG engineers :)

Fan running all the time? : haven't seen fan running all the time

Blowers are cooling the engine due to blowing air through the heater matrix.: No.

So I still urge to hear some answers from GTI users.

Time after time I check my car with VCDS. Also at begining of the year there was engine rebuit.

Engine is running fine but fuel consumption is bit high I think. Something makes me think, that this incorrect reading makes ECU think that engine is still cold and more fuel then needed is injected.

Let it idle for a while and watch the temperature, see if it rises and when the fan comes on.

When you say it has been chipped, the cheapo ones work by telling the ecu its colder than it is to up the fuelling - could well be your issue. A proper remap won't have done this though, and I would assume if the engine has been rebuilt anything third party would hae been removed