where can i buy a lupo 3l

zeelupo

do some sums. if its only for economy,(cant see any other reason you would want one) then is the difference in price between a 1.4tdi and 3l going to cover the cost saving of fuel? 3l does about 90mpg 1.4tdi does about 75mpg, cost difference to buy car £3k. thats a lot of fuel

also if it goes wrong it will be very expensive lots of special parts.

Does a 1.4TDI really average 75mpg? What is the best mpg possible on a long trip?

would possibly sell my 1.4 tdi with 3l bits for the right price...... P.M me if interested

It's lovely :yes: I'd be all over that shit if I had the dorrar!

Edited by Koop

So from the standard CO2 figures and the mpgs quoted here, it seems a 3L is about 40% better on fuel than a 1.4TDI. So that saves me over £1k a year in fuel over a TDI.

It doesn't matter to me anyway, as the 3L paid for itself in under 2 years in fuel savings alone, just from me not driving the car I would otherwise be driving. That is without the added value of cheaper tyres, cheaper parts, less oil consumption, so on.

I also like the fact that the 3L is much lighter than most other cars, apart from old skool stuff, which gives a different driving experience. The automatic-manual gearbox also makes driving it economical very easy. It involves a lot less concentration than a manual car. The variable turbo give a good spread of torque too.

I drove a Skoda Roomster 1.4TDI a few years ago, and that was truly horrible to drive. With the extra weight and that 2k rpm cliff, there were some hills that I had to slip the clutch in 1st to get up some steep roads. It's a good job it wasn't my car! I can highly recommend driving one, so you can get back into your Lupo and appreciate how good it is.

By the way, that 3L on Ebay needs a new cambelt. It was last changed on 23/05/07. I would say that is overdue.

40%??? would you like to show your working out :thumbsup:

no doubt its better on juice and i can only imagine that it is totally different to drive (easier to get high mpg) as its hard work to get the absolute best out of tdi.

there is always the bigger outlay in the first place but the longer you keep the car the more money it saves so if you change your car often you wont always get the benefit.

im also with you on the cost saving, even with "just" a tdi. my weekly fuel bill has dropped by £110 :surprised: :surprised: :surprised:

Sure, no problem. You may have to factor in the amount of alcohol I have consumed this evening, but the maths are pretty simple.

CO2 comparison:

TDI 116g/km vs 3L 81g/km

(116x100)/81=143%

Average mpg comparison:

TDI 66mpg vs 3L 94mpg

(100/66)x94=142%

Best mpg comparison:

TDI 86mpg vs 118mpg (my own personal best, but I know 120+ is possible)

(100/86)x118=137%

Would also like to know where the 40% figure comes from. Math police FTW!!

'ello 'ello 'ello, what's all this then?

He's not done bad, I'd have worked it out differently though:

CO2 comparison:

TDI 116g/km vs 3L 81g/km

(81/116)x100=69%

i.e. 3L has approx 31% less CO2 emissions

Average mpg comparison:

TDI 66mpg vs 3L 94mpg

(94/66)x100=142%

i.e. 3L has 42% better average mpg

Best mpg comparison:

TDI 86mpg vs 118mpg

(118/86)x100=137%

i.e. 3L has 37% better optimum mpg

More importantly, why has no one mentioned the SDI?

:lol: I am glad someone made sense of it.

As I have said elsewhere the SDI can run on 'alternative' fuel, so the mpg running on diesel is not always the full story.

If we take diesel to be £1.40/litre, and veg oil to be £0.70. (My brother recently stocked up at this price)

We can use a 50:50 mix at £1.05/litre average throughout the year. So for the same money you get 33% extra fuel, than just straight diesel.

If you take the average SDI mpg to be 65mpg, then the effective average would be 87mpg. So I make that a little over 31% better £/mile than a TDI. If that makes sense?

I drive a tractor style NA diesel almost every day, and it does take a different state of mind to drive. But it is perfectly fine for plodding about and lugging things around. Torque from idle can be useful.

'ello 'ello 'ello, what's all this then?

He's not done bad, I'd have worked it out differently though:

CO2 comparison:

TDI 116g/km vs 3L 81g/km

(81/116)x100=69%

i.e. 3L has approx 31% less CO2 emissions

Average mpg comparison:

TDI 66mpg vs 3L 94mpg

(94/66)x100=142%

i.e. 3L has 42% better average mpg

Best mpg comparison:

TDI 86mpg vs 118mpg

(118/86)x100=137%

i.e. 3L has 37% better optimum mpg

More importantly, why has no one mentioned the SDI?

I was going with the 90 and 75 mentioned on the last page and was getting 20%. That's why I was confused lol

7k for brand new 3l !!!! thats a no brainer, keeping it for 11 years thats free motoring (as long as no big bills)

but they dont make them new anymore and as they hold their price so well its cheaper to buy the 1.4tdi

i would love a 3l (just because) and was actively looking to import, but potential big bills and residual values ment it was far more cost effective to get 1.4tdi

if they were only 7k new and you can still get 5.5k 11 years later, that has to be the lowest depreciation of any car!

Not quite true! I did have to pay £1100 VAT.

Never had any big bills during 300,000+ km with 2 x 3L's and an A2 1.2Tdi. Most gear actuators are replaced for no good reason, mainly because all the diagnostic software is unable to diagnose a failing or even failed accumulator.

RAB

Edited by RAB

I've just looked at a lupo 3L and the only thing I see different is a steering wheel and the indicators on the front end .....surely that's not worth 5k plus ?

I've just looked at a lupo 3L and the only thing I see different is a steering wheel and the indicators on the front end .....surely that's not worth 5k plus ?

:lol: Yes. I think it is easier to list which parts are the same as a standard 6X Lupo. Headlights, taillights, fuel tank, some interior trim and switches. Anything else? :)