Door Lock Help!

gatesy0093

Right the problem is that my driver side door lock has just suddenly stopped working :/ I can put the key in, but no matter which way I turn the key, it doesn't lock or unlock the door? Its been playing up a bit lately where the lock has been jamming but a bit of WD-40 always seemed to fix the problem. I washed my car this morning and ever since then it has been broken.

Any help?

No it's not frozen. I don't really know why it's been jamming? probably just needs a good clean or something because a spray over and internally with WD-40 always loosened it back to normal :/ its just since today that when I put the key in it will still turn, but it doesn't lock the door? or unlock it if it;s locked (From the inside and after crawling out through the passenger side lol)

• 8 years later...

Hi there,

I've just found this thread.  My Arosa's driver lock has just started to play up.  We've put some WD-40 in it, so now we're just waiting to see if it does the job.  But we're just wondering if gatesy0093's issue been resolved?  And if so, how?

Many thanks.

Holy thread resurrection!

WD40 or similar on vdub door locks doesn't work. Ever. All the moving lock surfaces generally are teflon covered or nylon encased so they don't need lube.

The usual problem is the 3 lock switches inside the door lock mechanisms. You can tell if the lock switches are playing up because the lights on reminder, interior light and fuel pump pre-priming also are intermittant. Also, lock buttons pop up and down weirdly when you try to lock the car. Happens in just about every model of VAG car from about 1998-2010. 

You need to replace the lock mechanism inside the door. The failure is so common, the bramd new part is as cheap as chips...  (£8). You keep the same keys, just simply swap the mech. Takes about 45 mins. Make sure the door weather seal is correctly sealed up once finished or water gets into the car.

(don't forget to service your auto box. Everyone forgets to change BOTH auto gearbox fluids and the filter inside them at least every two years- lupo auto boxes are expensive and hard to find)

1 hour ago, mk2 said:

Holy thread resurrection!

WD40 or similar on vdub door locks doesn't work. Ever. All the moving lock surfaces generally are teflon covered or nylon encased so they don't need lube.

The usual problem is the 3 lock switches inside the door lock mechanisms. You can tell if the lock switches are playing up because the lights on reminder, interior light and fuel pump pre-priming also are intermittant. Also, lock buttons pop up and down weirdly when you try to lock the car. Happens in just about every model of VAG car from about 1998-2010. 

You need to replace the lock mechanism inside the door. The failure is so common, the bramd new part is as cheap as chips...  (£8). You keep the same keys, just simply swap the mech. Takes about 45 mins. Make sure the door weather seal is correctly sealed up once finished or water gets into the car.

(don't forget to service your auto box. Everyone forgets to change BOTH auto gearbox fluids and the filter inside them at least every two years- lupo auto boxes are expensive and hard to find)

Thank you for responding so quickly MK2!  I'll try and find the part and get it done, I'm not a mechanic myself but I know a good one.

And thanks for the tips on the auto gearbox fluids!  I'm aware of the costs of the auto boxes.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/24/2021 at 6:36 PM, mk2 said:

Yeah, looks the same as this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283116492655

I've seen them for about £8, and they're all usually OK. Check it's the correct door.

will this fix a door lock that does open my drivers door ? 

the key unlocks and locks but cant open the door

i can open the door from the inside tho

If the central locking works (I'm assuming central locking), then it's the little alloy thing on the end of the key lock barrel that breaks (in every vdub of that era). You can get repair kits for pennies on ebay. There's a trick to refitting the spring- you tube is your friend.

It's the little C shaped retaining ring usually. Symptoms are that you can turn the key and nothing happens at all. Also you need to get the key in the right position so you can remove it again. You need to remove the barrel to fix it.

On 2/16/2021 at 5:52 PM, mk2 said:

If the central locking works (I'm assuming central locking), then it's the little alloy thing on the end of the key lock barrel that breaks (in every vdub of that era). You can get repair kits for pennies on ebay. There's a trick to refitting the spring- you tube is your friend.

It's the little C shaped retaining ring usually. Symptoms are that you can turn the key and nothing happens at all. Also you need to get the key in the right position so you can remove it again. You need to remove the barrel to fix it.

Isnt the widely available replacement thing from polo6n2 and longer than lupo one?

All the polo replacement lock barrel can be used for lupo, but the thing at the end is different and one more part must be slightly modifyed for lupo thing at the end.

Hi Guys, I don't have any central locking any more.  It started messing about a few years back, so my other half got it unplugged and now I'm just opening the car as if it was really old (which it is anyway) and open all doors with a key.

My driver's door lock started messing about a few weeks back, so on MK2's advice, I bought the door lock mechanism.  However I couldn't find a mechanic that would have time to fit it in for me, but so far, the lock is still going ok, and the mechanism is for now sitting it its box.  I'd hate to get rid of my little car as it's got a very good engine, it purrs along nicely still.  I'd love to keep it until it's a 'classic'!  I wish!  Time will tell.

Sorry I can't give a proper update.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/16/2021 at 3:52 PM, mk2 said:

central locking works yeah but cant open the door.. 

can i just buy a new unit to replace it all rather than faffing about. ? 

thanks 

7 minutes ago, mk2 said:

Faffing about?! That's what owning an old car is about... :)

But seriously, no easy way out without some messing about.

YEAH what i mean is..

can i not just get a new lock like the one that was listed above.. and bolt in - simple swap out 

This vid is better. The best one is by an eastern european, who uses a straw as a setting tool. Can't find it though. Look for vdub lock replacement...

You only need the little metal ring with the two tiny bits sticking out (that snap off).

by the way, you need to loosen that retaining screw a maximum of 12 turns. I find 11 is enough. Too many and the lock ring, that holds the barrel in place drops down into the door and is a nightmare to refit without stripping down the door.

Edited by mk2
  • Like 1