Gearbox question

Have searched already but couldn't find anything and new to these Lupos...

1.4 Tdi goes up fine through all the gears but when downshifting struggles to go into 3rd, can find it eventually. Every other gear ok and no untoward noises. Gets in to third fine when not driving.

Any ideas for me to look at??? Cheers

Could be a whole manor of things;

- Clutch

- Shift cable adjustment

- Synchromesh

- You're not pushing hard enough

- Driving style

Try double 'D' clutching for a smoother downshift. Or even just a quick blip of the throttle on the downshift will help to match engine speed with gearbox speed.

If you're unfamiliar with this, here's a quick rundown;

You're in 4th gear at 2000rpm and theres a sweeping corner coming up.

You brake gradually and the revs drop to 1500rpm and feel the need to shift down to 3rd.

Push the clutch in and as you move the gearstick forward (through netutral and into 3rd) blip the accelerator slightly, to roughly where you think the engine revs will be when you're actually in third. (probably around 2000rpm again).

The way i normally do is to rev past the point (i.e. 2500rpm), as by the time you've slipped in from 4th to 3rd, the revs have normally dropped to where youwant them to be.

It's a good way to drive and i do this every time i downshift, no matter what car i'm in. Takes a bit of practise, but once you've got it sussed it makes for a brilliantly smooth drive, as well as less wear on the gearbox, clutch and driveshafts. Then you can incorporate heel and toe braking, although this isn't necessary for the road. :)

Blipping the throttle on every down change does mean more petrol getting used though, kind of a trade off.

Cooper i think youre jumping the gun a touch too, defcon was asking him to do that action a few times to help diagnose where the problem may lie, if it goes in without a problem whilst doing it there is probably i think a syncromesh issue.

Edited by scotty_82

Well when I take it out I'll have a look.

I'm definately pushing hard enough,...Had alot of cars Mk1 and Mk2 golf Gtis a G40, polo 1.9tdi, T4's, caddy's so never really had a problem before so would rule out driving style and pushing hard enough.

I notice from the receipts it had a new cable not so long ago so am wandering if it may be needs readjusting, but as I say goes up the gears fine, and only into 3rd thats a problem.

Was thinking bout changing the gearbox oil as doubt thats ever been done and its getting on for 140k.

Edited by smithysmoo

Matching the revs will just help it slip in and i thought you could maybe use it as a permanent fix to be honest. You can actually change gear without a synchromesh at all using the above method and dumping the clutch between shifts.

Although a dodgy sychro normally shows itself by crunching gears.

I thought doing the rev match thing above would suggest then that it wasn't a syncromesh issue??

That's how I interpreted it too. Could need the linkage adjusting if it's just doing it on one gear.

I doubt it's a case of adjustment to be honest. If it were, you'd be struggling with 1st, 3rd and 5th, as there is only one rod that moves the selector forwards/backwards.

Time for a new box imo. No biggy really, they're fairly cheap, easy to change and it's a god time to stick a new clutch in it too.

I doubt it's a case of adjustment to be honest. If it were, you'd be struggling with 1st, 3rd and 5th, as there is only one rod that moves the selector forwards/backwards.

Ah yeah that makes sense.

Seems strange every other gear is absolutely sweet as a nut and slick... and third is fine going up, actually found it coming down a little more on last drive out. Is it possible it could be clutch cable or would this mean that all gears were dodgy.

If I need a box any suggestions for places to go to get one?? Don't help theres no haynes manual for this model.