Brake/ABS Issue

sportrider-si

The abs appears to be kicking back everytime the brakes are applied, although the abs light doesn't come on, I dont know of anything else that would make the brake pedal kick back. It makes a horrific metal on metal grinding sound too. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Yeah, just unplug it and an Allen key bolt holds it in place, unbolt it and replace, hey presto.

Do the right thing-Pete for king.

Any half decent fault finder should give you your problem sensor, just slip a garage a tenner for a quick plug in.

Right, is replacing it easy? Trouble is I assume all 4 have a sensor and I dunno which one it is.. I have no vag com either.

You could just buy one sensor and try it on each corner until it fixes the issue? I've never had to change it but it's located just behind the disk. You can see it when you take the disk off.

Not sure how much of a pain in the arse it is to change though so the above plan might not be great in practice.

Edit: didn't see Pete's comment above so it does seem quite easy. Easier to plug into vagcom though lol

Edited by Pete91

Always happened at low speed, made a real bad crunching metallic sound, I did all the above, checked brakes, signal ring, cleaned everything up, saw nothing amiss, carried on happening, got a mate to plug it in, told me it was n/s/f sensor, replaced the sensor, never happened again.

Thanks guys, this is massivley helpful. If this helps determine anything, it only started today, after the lads at local tyre place sheered the locking wheel bolt key and had to get creative... with an old socket....and a hammer. It may be that the sensor has been knocked out of place or detatched completley? Either way it seems it definatley a sensor issue.

Haha, we had to swap the replacement bolt with a shorter bolt as it was making a grinding noise. Thats determines its the drivers side front wheel. God you are helpful.

If I ever vote, tbh everyone seems quite psycotic about it... youve got mine.. (if your right) :P

Plus tbh depending on the length of stud and how far he went with it he may have crushed the signal ring, but you'll see when you get to the sensor. Just spin the hub and check it over.

Is it possible it has been knocked out of place? or would you expect it be properly broken? For a temporary measure untill replacement arrives, what consequences would removing/unplugging the sensor have? I expect just the same as it is now?

I'd say the abs light may come on with it disconnected. As for the sensor, it's bolted in place so any half serious force on it wouldn't misalign or nudge it out of position, it's just break it.