Wipers wont stop! Need help!

Staff

right, as the title says, my wipers wont stop, and i cant think of what it could possibly be.

I first had trouble with this two weeks ago, and to fix my problem I removed a fuse (any fuse) turned the ignition, switched off, replaced fuse and repeated. they worked fine for the last two weeks after doing this.

I got up this morning, got in my car and the wipers instantly triggered the moment I set off :rant:

the first time it broke I purchased a new switch thinking that the switch could be the culprit, but the switch appears to be working fine. When i got to work I did the same procedure as last time as a temporary fix and the wipers stopped.

When i finished work and returned to my car, they were still okay up until i went over a small bump in the car park. So for now, ive just had to rip the Wiper fuse out of the dash until I can find the fix.

I have been thinking that it could either be the wiper relay, or some faulty wiring down the line somewhere :question:

Any ideas?

Thanks, Dan.

• 2 months later...

Update: Changed the Relay Twice now, and replaced the switch.

Every time I have changed the relay, it has fixed the problem for a short period of time. I ended up purchasing a brand new relay from VW for £36 to have it work for a day before being stuck at the same problem. Once again they work, but wont switch off.

Something is burning out the relays. Could anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks, Dan.

Already fitted a brand new stalk, that's no longer the problem. Whenever I replace the relay, it repairs the fault for a period of time. Something is frying the relay.

How could I go about fixing it?

Thanks, Dan

sounds like the wiper motor is drawing too much current then. the stalks that hold the wiper arms sometimes go "dry" and seize. it may be worth spraying wd40 on or some light oil, or you could try a spare wiper motor on

I had this problem and the motor turned out to be my culprit, i took it out and then removed the black plastic bit so you can see inside, cleaned out all the grease, cleaned it up and then applied some fresh grease around it and re fitted it, not had a problem since I did that

I had this problem and the motor turned out to be my culprit, i took it out and then removed the black plastic bit so you can see inside, cleaned out all the grease, cleaned it up and then applied some fresh grease around it and re fitted it, not had a problem since I did that

Possibly a short/damaged connection in the fuse board.

sounds like the wiper motor is drawing too much current then. the stalks that hold the wiper arms sometimes go "dry" and seize. it may be worth spraying wd40 on or some light oil, or you could try a spare wiper motor on

I had a hunch that the motor was going to be the culprit, but didnt want to have to go there :angry2:

Thanks for the feedback, looks like im gonna have to check out the motor, maybe even replace it. Ill have a look for any loose wires/connections.

Thanks for the input guys!

Dan.

Right, the final update.

I started by doing as suggested and removing/disassembling the motor. corrected anything that looked out of place such as the three contact wires. Once reassembled it worked again. For about an hour.

So back to the drawing board.

I soon realised that when I opened my door with the ignition on, my wipers started moving. This was the strangest thing, and I'm guessing none of you have seen this before!

My assumption is that a previous owner has been trying to wire something in, and made a mess of it, as the interior light switch was somehow affecting the controls to the wipers. Somewhere down the line, some wires much be touching. So when I open my door, the interior light switch is triggered to come on as well as the wipers. The solution was to sacrifice the interior light switch to automatically come on when I open the door.

I doubt this will happen to anyone else in the future, but just in case, it might be worth locking! Haha

Edited by Staff