Lupo GTI - AC problems, any ideas?

Dear All,

I've got Air Con problems on the GTI and wondered if anybody seen this before or got any ideas.

Last couple weeks or so occasionally when unlocking the car I've noticed the AC button has been illuminated, dimly, not as bright as when it's on. This is just unlocking the car using the remote, door still shut and no keys in ignition. Light went off after starting car. Car drives normal.

I didn't think much about it but in last few days now when you start the car the main rad coolling fan starts up immediately and begins "hunting" - slow, fast, slow, fast every couple of seconds. the only way to get it to run at a steady speed is to turn the AC on using the button.

AC appears to work ok. If I turn the AC off again then the fan speed beings to hunt again, slow, fast etc.

Turn ignition off and fan stops, thank goodness!

Any ideas?

Are we looking at a wiring fault or temp sensor fault?

I took the car to the main dealers and guess what? When I got there it stopped doing it yesterday. Came to the car again this morning and it started hunting again. Typical.

Am going back to main dealers again but just wondered if anybody had any thoughts?

Much appreciated,

Regards

Chris Hargreaves

I'd go and check the plugs and connection on the fan/aircon control relay behind the front bumper passenger side. Sounds like its that playing up.

I used to use the ac button on mine as a manual fan over ride when sitting in traffic, so I know that the ac button is directly connected to there and that relay also controls the fan.

John