Adzer's black and orange lupo - project 1.8t

Adzer

Well had some good progress tonight until the lazy bug set in and I came in for tea

Before I fitted the engine I I changed the timing belt and manifold to turbo gasket to save hassle at a later date

Got engine mounted and hopefully won't need to take it out again until I blow it ;)

7u8y3uhe.jpg

As I didn't have a clutch pipe to fit the lupo I decided to use the one from the a3 but was a bit too big and looked untidy so a bit of modification was required, I cut the ends off the original pipe and put brake pipe ends on then so I can then make up a pipe to fit between the two ends. As the pipe is slightly thicker than brake pipe I had to drill the holes bigger on the fittings to slide over the pipe. Anyway here is some pics of the ends ready for me to make the linking pipeme8agyha.jpg

In this pic u can see both ends of the pipe on the left and right I need to join

umypeja2.jpgyju4yhum.jpg

So all that remains is for me

To make a straight bit of pipe and flare the ends with fittings and screw them together to complete the clutch hydraulics

Next up was the water hoses from engine to bulkhead, I used the fittings from the a3 and fitted them to the lupo bulkhead which ment the pipes was plug and play. No modifications required

8ysasuqa.jpg

Next up fuel hoses, I removed the ends from the 1.8t fuel hoses then simply attached them to the original lupo pipes

y9amuhe6.jpg

next task was fitting the shafts, i read that everyone used the original lupo shaft for the driver side but used the larger 100mm inner cv joint, i found this to be too short for my build so ended up using the original a3 shaft with the lupo outter cv joint fitted to it.

once that was done i set about fabricating the passeger shaft, again i used the a3 shaft with the lupo outter cv joint then cut the shaft in half, fitted one end into the hub and the other onto the gearbox then meassured the overlap of the two halfs, then i cut that off the shaft leaving me with the right length needed.

next up was to weld both halfs back together, sadly i got no pics of the welding as i was away playing football and left the welding with my friends work mate, after football we headed back to have a look at it then had to make sure it was true and straight so we stuck it in the lathe as we had to flush off the weld anyway.

sadly it wasnt 100% straight but what we did was put it in the lathe and used a burner to get the shaft red hot and it would straighten itself out in the lathe, once we got it straight with no wobble at the ends we made a pass over the shaft to flush off the weld, anyway enuf of my crap what ur wanting is pics so............

Nope never lol, have been involved with 1.8t's for years but never done a transplant with one.

Only conversion I've ever done was on a Honda but it was a simple bolt on conversion apart from the wiring which was readily available on the net.

With this conversion everything has to be modified and the wiring is a proper pita but after about a week I have 90% of

The wiring sussed out on paper so may have it running quicker than I think. Just need to get the original ecu de-immobilised so I can get the engine started to check everything works before I wire up the standalone ecu

Good progress tonight, managed to build up the custom shaft and get it fitted...........fits like a glove

uru7e4a8.jpg4evuva7e.jpg

I then finished off the clutch hydraulic pipe

etuty6uq.jpg

I then set about trying to refit the power steering system, for this it was just trial and error really, ended up using the a3 power steering pump, a3 fluid reservoir and a3 pipe from reservoir to pump. The rest of the pipes used was original lupo items with some slight modification

nu4a6u8y.jpg

ry4ybuma.jpgygamaraj.jpg

uha3u5a4.jpg3e9y4eta.jpg

Not actually got much left to do, I've even got all the wiring sorted out so hoping to get that done this weekend :-)

I was looking to troll and take the piss but I can't. Nice work.

Loving the venoms though & you could have used a Lupo GTI/TDI pedalbox with a 6N polo accelerator pedal which would have saved making that.

You could also have used a GTI/TDI gear selector with different bowden catch cables and saved yourself messing with that. :)

Also, if you used the mk4 Golf heater matrix then you wouldn't have had to make extensions on those pipes.

Edited by Rich

real men laugh in the face of danger :thumbup:

When ever you have another one of them posts use this chap > homme.gif lol

Edited by NERO

I was looking to troll and take the piss but I can't. Nice work.

Loving the venoms though & you could have used a Lupo GTI/TDI pedalbox with a 6N polo accelerator pedal which would have saved making that.

You could also have used a GTI/TDI gear selector with different bowden catch cables and saved yourself messing with that. :)

Also, if you used the mk4 Golf heater matrix then you wouldn't have had to make extensions on those pipes.

main aim for this is a budget build, there is too many honda ****s around my neck of the woods that think vtec is the best so we built a budget honda to show everyone that throwing money into a car stupidly doesnt make it faster as we proved when our £800 build car came in 1st place in the fwd class on a quarter mile shoot out.

after that day i got hooked on stripped out, light cars with good power hence this build, and im doing this on a budget to prove its not all money that makes fast cars. i recon by time im finished the build will have cost £1500 from buying the car, donor car, parts, bucket seats and wheels

yeah totally, guy locally spent 2k on his honda which already had an engine conversion and reamp, we done the engine conversion and bought the car etc for 800 and beat him and our car wasnt even running the right map lol

we was running b18 engine on a b16 map (obviously it was running safe as we had it on the rollers)

Well today has been a long and boring day but the end result was Deffo worth it, so today was spent wiring the car. Not much I can say about it but have some pics

bype2emu.jpgdusa7udy.jpg

mu5u2etu.jpggematyda.jpggy6a9ymy.jpg9udy8eza.jpgahe8udab.jpg

e7adavys.jpg

humuse6e.jpgugyvatum.jpgubu3y8uj.jpge8uqeqan.jpg

After all that was done I had to see if I had dash lights etc and check it cranked over, half the engines pipe work is still missing from the engine but she breathed into life for a second before the immobiliser stepped in and rained on my parade :-D