Poxy Car- Water leaking in Boot - Advice?

Pezza

Had a snoop around the boot and lifted the boot carpet. Noticed a little water under the battery box. As per previous threads I checked to see if it's washer/wiper fluid. It's rain water though.

Where does water usually find its way in? Naturally I cant see any tell tale water marks or trails. i have some condensation in the hi level brake light but I assume that's another problem.

There's a rubber grommet/bung if you look up under the boot floor. I may have disturbed it (knocked but thats all) a couple of weeks ago. Surely water couldnt get in there? Water leaks are such w$nkers to find. I just know if I put it into VW they wont find it. I have put a little vaseline round the grommet in case thats where it 'may' be seeping in,

Anyone had this problem? :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Hmm? High level brake light? All I read on this site is problems regarding these units and the spoiler. How would the water get under the battery? Is the water actually seeping past the light into the tailgate itself and exiting at the bottom? I would of thought any drainhole on the tailgate edge would be on outside of the seal al la doors.. I have original rear light units.

My car's going in shortly for a new rear spoiler due to the 'bubbling paint' problem. To stop the leaks, what are you to do? Sealant/thiksofix around the brakelight itself? There's damp/condensation in the lens

As the Lupo's in with VW shortly I need to explain and convey what I need them to do to stop this? I know this threads been repeated time and time but its always relevant!

I've never heard of that amount of water getting in via the high level brake light. If I'm right, I think it would actually have to travel down the rear screen to get there, and I think you'd notice that.

Do you have aftermarket rear lights?

I have standard back lights.

Went to wash it this morning as it was filthy! Started having a snoop round the back. My nearside rear light unit was a little loose and wobbly in and out. Discovered that whilst the screw that holds it on was quite tight it wasnt fully home. In fact 5mm off the unit. I suppose when the cars are built the torxhead screws are tightened to a preset torque by airtool or power tool. I got a suitable tool and tightened it up properly (it was very stiff.dodgy screw or thread).

I did however try to take the rear light out. As I didnt know the way it comes off I just knew I end up snapping something. It isn't obvious? Handbook says take car into dealer if bulb goes! Are they having a fookin laugh? Whats the actual process? How does the light seal to the body? Is there a rubber seal all the way round or is there a wire through a grommet on the cars body going into the unit? I noticed the rear light wasnt Bosch or Hella of VW's of yore. ie Good german parts. Bloody Carello. Italian junk quality! I've had alfas over the years and dont want my VW polluted with inferior rubbish parts!

Do you think this may be my leaky problem? (I hope it is!)

I recon it is (was) the problem.

Taking a rear light off should be REALLY simple - take out the 2 screws and I think it comes out in a certain direction. Not done it myself (only seen it being done) so I don't know exactly how it seals.

I do know that water can get in there if things aren't together correctly though.

Well I had a look this aft when I got in from work.

Water's been pissing in. There was a bit in one of the handles you can use to pull the tailgate down. Also a pool in the plastic panal where the catch bolts to next to rubber seal. It must be coming in from the spoiler and brakelight. I'm virtually 100% now.

The dealers ordered a spoiler because of the bubbles. He said he'lll paint it before the car comes in to save time. Will I need a new brakelight unit? It has condensation in. Or does it just need sealing up? Why does this entire problem occur? Hopefully if I need a new one VW'll be sympathtic. Is there an internal circular at VW with regard to this crap? I dont think a brand new VW which has been in production for 5 years should continue to display this fault.

I've got the right hump now (got rubbish payrise as well today!)