Fatttty's Ford Racing Puma #401 | Ford content... Front running gear refurb

fatttty

So nice! Would love to see this in person.

You going to take it to any shows?

Cheers :)

Yeah it will be at the majority of the ford shows this year so Ford Fair, FITP (if its on) I am also going to apply for Waxstock again this year. You would like Waxstock I think, its a detailing show so very clean cars but from all makes anything from a MK1 Lotus cortina to vintage Jags to Japanese craziness and everything in-between but all minty clean :)

Alex

People like you are the reason why cars like the below image still exist today.
for_sale_1980_lamborghini_countach_lp400

What you have done on the FRP is just excellent! Not just creating a show car, but preserving automotive history.

Alex - You have a huge amount of respect from me!

Edited by nfbr
  • Like 2

People like you are the reason why cars like the below image still exist today.

for_sale_1980_lamborghini_countach_lp400

What you have done on the FRP is just excellent! Not just creating a show car, but preserving automotive history.

Alex - You have a huge amount of respect from me!

Thanks Al, that means a lot coming from you :) did you see the Powerflex bushes that Id got form you ;)

Had a few hours on the Puma over the weekend and got a couple of little jobs out the way.
Fitted my new track rod ends, had these electroplated in silver zinc-
DSC_0067_zps586a648e.jpg
Fitted the brake pads, had the brake retaining plates mirror polished as well as the retaining bolts-
DSC_0068_zpsa89c7efc.jpg
Got the manifold fitted, thought it would be a good time to take one last photo of the back of the engine before it gets hidden by the manifold forever. Like this photo as you can see the steering rack in place which is something I never even noticed before as it was so dirty-
DSC_0061_zps98fcc160.jpg
And finally a bit more photo whoring with my new camera-
DSC_0062_zps7d6afb71.jpg
DSC_0063_zpsde4140a0.jpg
Alex

• 4 weeks later...
So another lovely Sunday meant the puma came out the garage for a dust off and a little test drive. It seems OK but cant be totally sure until I can take it for a good proper drive and actually get into 3rd gear etc .

Investigated further into my gearbox oil leak, it seems to be coming from the drivers side drive shaft seal (and dribbling down under the bottom of the box casing) I did replace the seal so its a possibility I caught the seal when putting the shaft back in, will be taking another look in the week to see if its leaking from the outer or inner edge, if its the outer I can use gasket seal. If its the inner the shaft will need to come back out and a new seal fitted.

Got some better photographs of the underneath with my SLR too :)

DSC_0666_zps26219687.jpg

DSC_0662_zps353cd748.jpg

DSC_0655_zps98b07276.jpg

DSC_0650_zps862f5a83.jpg

DSC_0659_zps5fedaad9.jpg

DSC_0657_zps1fa9dcc1.jpg

Alex

stunning work, bet you got some fans in the ford world they love a concours restore

Cheers Rob, its got quite a few fans in the owners club :) they like to see the cars being looked after as most are quite abused.

Alex

There's a couple of nice ones for sale at the moment #139 I think it is, looks a clean example on eBay. There's a few rough ones for sale at the moment too. You can buy mine for the right offer :P

There's a couple of nice ones for sale at the moment #139 I think it is, looks a clean example on eBay. There's a few rough ones for sale at the moment too. You can buy mine for the right offer :P

How much would yours be put up for? :shifty:

• 4 weeks later...
Ok so small update.
My gearbox leak was causing me a bit of grief, Id check the driveshaft seals, speedo sensor and a few other things. Only thing left was the input shaft seal, so it was a gearbox off job.
A bit heart breaking to pull the car apart after just 2 weeks but these things are sent to test us, my own fault really as I should have probably done this the first time around. We live and learn.
So I set about removing the front discs, calipers, hubs, track rods and drive shafts. Drained the box in place as best as I could and set on removing it from the car.
A good friend from the FRP owners club kindly came over to lend a hand. With my initial prep work and his excellent knowledge the box was off and on the floor within 30 minutes.
Box off-
IMG_3090_zpsbeff431e.jpg
I removed the driveshaft seals-
IMG_3094_zpsccb0bed6.jpg
The input shaft seal (which we presume to be the problem, looking at the oil in the bell housing I think we can safely say it is)-
IMG_3095_zpsfe7b412d.jpg
And finally the speedo sensor-
IMG_3093_zps54cdaf21.jpg
The box will be going off for soda blasting to remove all the old paint. I have new seals all round, new speedo drive and roll pin and reverse switch. The box casing will get a fresh coat of paint as well.
Also I have a new clutch, slave cylinder and also the crankshaft seal to fit before the box goes back in.
Will keep you all updated.
Alex

Little update, spent the last three days painting the gearbox. Pretty happy with the results :)
DSC_7660_zpsac0be05a.jpg
DSC_76601_zps819b1c9b.jpg
Tomorrow I will be swapping the existing bolts for plated ones so they gold will break up the silver a little, will also fit the new seals, speedo sensor and reverse sensors.
Managed to get the flywheel off today aswell, removed the crankshaft seal, unsure if the oil is from the crankshaft seal or the input seal on the gearbox. Either way it will be replaced by a new Ford OE seal to be safe.
DSC_76602_zps2048f34e.jpg
Will be cleaning up the side of the engine behind the flywheel, all being well should have new seal in, flywheel refitted and new clutch kit.
Thanks for looking, Alex

Right, got half hour on the car after work and go a few jobs done.

Picked up my parts from the powdercoaters a few days ago, had the gearbox end plate, engine lifting eye, drive shaft tri-cup and abs module bracket all done in satin black.

Powedercoat_1_zpsdfbd1f0b.jpg

ABS module bracket with rubbers and plated bolts ready to fit-

Powdercoat_2_zpsac90af57.jpg

Got the end plated fitted, sealed with gasket sealer and bolted down, changed all the gearbox bolts to yellow zinc plated items and fitted a plastic hose clip I've been searching around for months for :)

Gearbox_1_zpsb249f415.jpg

Gearbox_2_zpsa567198d.jpg

Gearbox_3_zpsdbeeaf38.jpg

Gearbox_4_zpsec717910.jpg

Gearbox mount had a lick of paint and yellow zinc plated bolts fitted too-

Gearbox_5_zps17148abb.jpg

More to come soon. Alex

Beautiful alex!!

Cheers matey :)

Little update from last weekend-

So today I rebuild my brake servo and master cylinder. Really pleased with how it turned out, the servo had leaked in the past and the paint had been attacked by brake fluid and was flaking off. The servo was soda blasted then painted satin black.
All the bolts were yellow zinc plated and the master cylinder given a coat of silver paint before being rebuilt using new seals.
Parts-
Servo_1_zpsd56842d0.jpg
Servo_2_zpscfd92245.jpg
Servo_3_zps0ed3ba29.jpg
Master cylinder-
Servo_4_zps9f3ec87a.jpg
Back of servo-
Servo_5_zps236aeaaf.jpg
Finished-
Servo_6_zps23a7c492.jpg
Servo_7_zpse1476b51.jpg
Servo_8_zpse266879a.jpg
More to come guys, thanks for looking. Alex

Good work Alex :thumbsup:

top work mate

Cheers guys!

Got a night on the car last night, fitted new clutch and pressure plate along with two new dowels for aligning the clutch as there was only one.
Clutch_zps0f4b967f.jpg
Then fitted the gearbox, didn't take any photos during but got some afters, looking pretty good, even if I say so myself :)
Gearboxfit_1_zps5324d18e.jpg
Gearboxfit_2_zpsb0745242.jpg
Thanks for looking, Alex