Fatttty's Ford Racing Puma #401 | Ford content... Front running gear refurb

fatttty

:o don't drive it.

Too clean :coffee:

Haha its a drivers car Joe, it will be driven :P

Not much happening with the Puma at the moment, but hoping for some progress over the next few weeks. Wheels should be going to Pureklas in Coventry, managed to source a set of brand new front shocks, springs and top mounts for a steal saving over £400 on the price from PumaBuild :D :D :D

Alex

Have you used Pureklas before, any good ? Was thinking of taking some wheels there for a refurb myself, would be good to see some of their work.

Have you used Pureklas before, any good ? Was thinking of taking some wheels there for a refurb myself, would be good to see some of their work.

Personnaly I havent but I have seen photos of their work and it does look tip top. Had good recommendations from a few friends too so I'm happy to give them a whirl :)

Alex

So the Mrs was at work yesterday so I had the afternoon to play on the Puma. I rolled the front end of the car out of the garage, I'd already removed some of engine bay parts to gain better access to the hard to reach areas.

I used engine degreaser and APC along with a firm brush and degreased the chassis legs, suspension turrets and behind the rain tray scuttle area.

IMG_2147_zps730c05fe.jpg

IMG_2146_zps59a3816b.jpg

Removed wiper motor assembly for better access behind the scuttle, hoovered this to remove most of the leaves and crap then rinsed and cleaned with APC.

IMG_2151_zps7394e1be.jpg

Something that had bugged me about the engine bay was a metal bar across the back of the bulk head (not sure what it is or what it does lol) but it was grubby and tarnished-

IMG_2145_zps5aa826de.jpg

Spend a good hour with an emery cloth followed by Megs metal polish, looks much better now-

IMG_2150_zps80aa9047.jpg

Hands took a beating...

IMG_2148_zpsf4ade6ca.jpg

Removed the left hand engine mount as it was also tarnished and grubby, will be degreasing this and painting it later this week-

IMG_2153_zps953020e7.jpg

Lots more to come over the next few weeks guys :)

Alex

• Like 1

I will say the same as i always do, i love this! :wub:

I really don't think that pictures do these cars justice!

I had a mk1 focus rs and seeing pictures and seeing the car in the flesh it was just so much more imposing than you could get across from a picture.

keep up the good work :thumbsup:

I will say the same as i always do, i love this! :wub:

I really don't think that pictures do these cars justice!

I had a mk1 focus rs and seeing pictures and seeing the car in the flesh it was just so much more imposing than you could get across from a picture.

keep up the good work :thumbsup:

Cheers, yeah the FRP's styling is amazing. They look fantastic on the road, even when parked up I cant help but grin at the big fat arches! Really cant wait to get the car together nad get some proper photos of the whole thing.

Got a big two day detail to come mid April so hopefully will get some nice photos of the whole car then :D

Alex

Small update, removed the upper engine mount last week. Gave it a good clean and a scrub after soaking it in degreaser for a day or so.

After a clean and degrease-

IMG_2154_zps59fb837a.jpg

Gave it a nice coat of Hammerite silver, much better-

IMG_2158_zps39f31a65.jpg

Alex

Ah cmon Alex! Got a semi on when i saw u'd updated this and was hopeing for some full shots! Thats like a nip slip! WE NEED FULL NUDITY HERE! lol.

Lol it was a nipple shot ;)

I'll get some full shots of the car soon. Can't move it unfortunatly as the engine is balancing on jacks as it has no mounts lol

haha. im joking mate. This thread is gunna be like Ryan's to me. Inspirational as ****. Wish i had the know-how, time & cash to start a build like this. Quality build so far mate keep it up.

Cheers Chris, I'm learning as I go with this car myself actually. Going to remove the gearbox mounts next week and paint those like the engine mount, also the gearbox casing too :)

Alex

• 2 weeks later...

Progress has been a little slow over the past few weeks but things seem to be moving in the right direction. Should have quite a few updates in the next few days :)

Picked up some stuff from the electro platers the other day, majority here are for the engine bay area-

IMG_2194_zps37a15ea8.jpg

And a few more that I had forgotten to take so had them done seperately-

IMG_2200_zpsfca221cb.jpg

Hopefully get on with putting the engine bay back together tonight :D

Alex

• Like 1

Awesome Alex :thumbsup:

Ok so made good progress over the weekend on the engine bay. Got most of it back together, fitted TB, battery tray, battery, air mass senor, intake pipe work and airbox.

My throttle body, gave it a good clean with a wire brush-

d9cde016-5fcb-49b9-8dc3-861f80c81eed_zps

Then painted and rebuilt using the plated parts in my previous post-

IMG_2207_zps17ce26eb.jpg

IMG_2206_zpsc4b5ef91.jpg

Cleaned and dressed my battery tray, also painted the metal strap around the outside edge and also fitted plated bolts too-

IMG_2205_zps8c49ab24.jpg

My conduit cable covers were starting to look old / grey and tatty looking out with the old-

IMG_2203_zps0e3e9400.jpg

And in with the new, I fitted these to most of the existing wiring that were on show-

IMG_2202_zps6b1962bd.jpg

Refitted my left hand engine mount which had been painted along with plated buts and bolts-

IMG_2204_zps785b70fe.jpg

Did quite a bit more but it got dark so no photos :(

Oh and picked this up on Saturday, my original steering wheel trimmed using FRP genuine alcantara material and a dark grey leather to match the airbag casing :)

IMG_2211_zps91ae7c4d.jpg

IMG_2212_zps13d9d29e.jpg

IMG_2213_zps063f7048.jpg

Thanks for looking, Alex

that steering wheel is cool man. Love this car, not the sort of thing you see everyday!

saw one of these in the flesh for the first time yesterday at the Secta Northeast meet and they look quality! the wings are huge! wasnt anywhere near as tidy as this tho, poor thing wasnt very well looked after by the look of its paint.

good work alex... looking awesome

Cheers Piers

Perfection

:D

that steering wheel is cool man. Love this car, not the sort of thing you see everyday!

Yeah they are rare as, I've only ever seen 3 on the road. Im not overly keen on the steering wheel but its OEM so thats how its gonna stay lol

:thumbup: cant wait to see some finished shots of it

lol me too!

Love sleek peaks when visiting our friend!!

Can't wait for it to be finished!

Haha paul said you had tried to sort out taking it to Elsecar, was a good drive down and was nice to finally meet him so all good :) Not too far off finishing now!

saw one of these in the flesh for the first time yesterday at the Secta Northeast meet and they look quality! the wings are huge! wasnt anywhere near as tidy as this tho, poor thing wasnt very well looked after by the look of its paint.

There are a lot of rough examples out there, though they were a 'drivers' car so many are just driven / thrashed and enjoyed.