Fatttty's Ford Racing Puma #401 | Ford content... Front running gear refurb

fatttty

Was a great day, You could not stop smiling when it fired up first time :D

What number was yours scotty?

ill have to double check but 123-124 is ringing bells.

It was a good few years ago now.

aviofpuma.jpg

Very nice mate :) i remember a few years ago they were silly money, always wanted one but were just out of my price range. They have dropped in price the last few years, though theres a load of rough ones out there now.

I think i paid 8-9 for mine but that was ages ago , seen them go for 4-5k loads now

Yeah a few have dipped below £3.5K recently, but they are rough as.

Little update, my and my dad tweaked the flexi rear brake lines slightly so they now clear the back of the wheels and don't rub. Torqued the rear wheel bearing up to 235Nm so its all nice and tight now.

Took the car out last night and all seems / sounds fine. Unfortunatly the ABS / Traction control light has now come on so not sure whats going on there. A job for another day I think..

Got a littel job done that had been bugging me, my rear drivers side sill had got some overspray on it from when I had stoneguarded the underside of the car. So I clayed and hand polished to remove this.

Also went round and touched up the little chipped areas of the boot floor that had been knocked or missed when putting the car back together.

Over sprayed sill-

IMG_2082_zps5706bcf0.jpg

Clayed and polished :) -

IMG_2087_zps9163f01a.jpg

More to come this weekend folks :)

Alex

Haha sorry guys no updates, battery decided to finally die on me so couldn't move the car out :(

Started removing the air box, battery case and manifold cover to start degreasing the engine bay and get it detailed ;)

Alex

looks gorgeous mate!

if i saw one for under 3.5k.... i'd be a deadman as the missus would come home to another car (track fun!!) lol.

There's a couple cropping up here and there for that kind of money. They are quite rough though.

So little update, been touching up the underbody paint mainly along the egdes where the floor meets the sills. I also touched up a few of the little chips that had occured whilst putting the rear axle back onto the car.

Jacked up and supported-

IMG_2100_zps4ac55cc0.jpg

Paint touch up along the sill edge (there's another chip I noticed since taking that photo just above the hinge on the axle)-

IMG_2108_zps32b54762.jpg

Really pleased with the progress so thought it would be rude not to crack out a mirror and look at my hard work :D

IMG_2106_zpsc31931e2.jpg

IMG_2107_zps87fb66a6.jpg

New battery coming this weekend so hopefully can move the car and make soem more progress.

Thanks for reading, Alex

• 2 weeks later...

Well progress has been a little slow the past few weeks. The battery had finally died so I purchased a new Bosch item and she sparked back to life :)

Outside enjoying the sunshine-

IMG_2124_zps1e14aaf1.jpg

She was in one piece for about 3 days before she was back in the garage and work began on the engine bay detailing. The plan is to completely overhaul everything possible. But I started by removing the larger / easy to remove parts to help gain more access to the bay for cleaning.

Headlights removed to gain access to the chassis legs for degreasing and cleaning. The headlight cases will be wet sanded and machine polished while they are off the car.

Battery and battery tray removed to gain access to the top of the gearbox and mount so this can be cleaned, degreased and painted.

Scuttle / rain tray removed for cleaning, wiper arms and wiper motor removed for cleaning and detailing.

Here's how she stands at the moment-

IMG_2128_zpsae619de3.jpg

I'll carry on removing the airbox and air mass sensor etc, new coolant and powersteering containers have been ordered from Fords as well :)

More to come in the next few weeks!

Alex

:wub: I love these, really thinking about one and seeing yours is giving me even more temptation to do so.

When are you hoping to be out and about in the FRP...summer?

:wub: I love these, really thinking about one and seeing yours is giving me even more temptation to do so.

When are you hoping to be out and about in the FRP...summer?

They are great cars, part of me misses the build quality of the Lupo, but I have always had a real soft spot for special Fords so its winning through at the moment.

All being well I plan to go to have her back on the road at the end of April, my mate wants to use it as his wedding car so I'm getting as much done up to April. Then keep messing with it through summer but hopefulyl driving it at the same time. Im planning to do a few shows this year, FITP, Ford Fair and a few others hopefully

Awesome work Alex it's looking awesome :D

Cheers Ben, any luck with the solenoid switch?

unreal as always alex... dedication.

Thank you very much Piers. I think I get bored when its in one piece, I'm dedicated to tasking it apart and putting it back together again lol! Your Golf's coming along nicely I see too ;)

its good to be like that :) yeah mines slow progress at the moment. Trying to pace myself and trying to work out if i should go all out straight away and have it painted or if i should concentrate on getting it running first and painted next year... decisions

its good to be like that :) yeah mines slow progress at the moment. Trying to pace myself and trying to work out if i should go all out straight away and have it painted or if i should concentrate on getting it running first and painted next year... decisions

Get it running first so you know everything is good mechanical wise. Then remove engine and running gear, Smooth the bay and fully paint ;)