Footwell full of water!!

splinta ste

Lupo spring a leak somewhere so when it rains water pours into passenger footwell from somewhere behind the dash. I can hear it swishing about on there going round corners or if I put the fan on it makes a sputtering noise. Has anyone any idea how to solve me problem or shall I just embrace the on board foot spa facility!!

Does your car have a sun roof? Not sure on lupos but a lot of cars have issues with the sun roof drain tubes blocking up and then breaking open at the connections behind the dash, but it could really be one of a thousand things

I had this issue. Open your bonnet, take the drip tray out on the right hand side, remove the rubber and in either corner below the screen have a poke around and you will find you drain holes are clogged up. Poke them free, watch water drain and then leave your heater on. Do this as where it fills up in your scuttle it overflows in to the heater, hence why it then drips on the carpet!

Also, wet vac your footwell!

Hope that's help! And remember to keep them drains free :)

Joe

Well my scuttles now leafy sludge free, blimey there was a lot of water that flowed out but this time it all went on the floor not my carpet?

I've mopped out most of the water whilst the heater was on full blast and its now parked up in the 'nice warm sun' !!

I've got a good feeling this is now fixed so thanks for your interest and ideas guys

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Hey guys,

sorry to bring up an old topic but I have the same problem and I can't seem to find the spot of the leak.

My car doesn't have a sunroof, so the plenum drains are out. I checked the scuttle panel, both the filter, surrounding metal and the inside of the matrix seem to be dry (checked directly after it stopped raining). The window seal seems to be fine all around and there are no cracks in the glass or anything. The water is coming from behind the dash and dripping onto the passenger side footwell and I just can't figure out from where.

Any help or directions where to look would be much appreciated!

My english is so-so, so please try to be as specific as possible, thanks!

pull off the wiper arms and get in under the plastic cover... there are drain holes each side that get blocked- all VWs are the same. Leaves and moss....

• 4 years later...

I too have wet carpet in the foot wells. I searched this site and I found some posts about this being caused by the incorrect fitting of aftermarket door speakers, which I have.

I presume taking over the mini door cards might show the problem. That's what I'll be doing at the weekend.

Inside of the door gets wet - the glass and seals are not a perfect fit.

From the factory the openings into the cabin are covered by a membrane to stop water getting in.

Trouble is as time passes this membrane gets torn or cut from maintenance or bigger speakers, all you need to do is fix the holes.
If it’s the speaker where the leak is you need to fashion a cover to direct water away from the inside. I would be looking for some thick plastic, take the speaker out, push the plastic into the door - you are trying to make something like a cape to direct drips into the door away from the inside. Fix any other holes with duct tape, then reinstall the speaker and card and you should be good.