RIGHT I AM GOING INSANE!

My lupo gti has developed a rattling vibration sound from 1k up to around 2.5k does it when stationary out of gear and when driving!

it sounds very much like a washer or a heatshield but i just cannot find the cause do you have any suggestions?

I'd have thought it'd be exhaust related, as the bolts rust through to the point where they don't actually clamp the aluminium shield anymore. Porbably because the aluminium oxide corrodes the carbon steel. Check around the cat and the actual cat itself for the rattle. Get your missus to hold it at the rpm where it occurs, get underneath it and have a poke around with a crow bar or a pry bar.

It could even be a dodgy exhaust rubber which is letting the exhaust contact the body.

Check that the lambda sensor the goes just below the exhaust manifold is tight, I had a rattle and tightend this up and it went away! Failing that it may be the heatshield at the bulkhead - my polo had this issue. It's the securing nuts have come loose and need to be tightened up. Best to get it up on axel stands and have a look. It's probably at the front, so where the bulkhead meets the floor. These usually rust up and need replacing but can also come loose. Rip it off or undo the bolts and remove it or if you are weary, replace it.

Failing that i'm out of ideas. Post a video up :).

new alternator 5 months ago also notice a noise when i change gear and accelerate theres a delay in power and then a noise like a chain

Hi mate I have the same problem which only started the over day. Mine sounds like its coming the top of the engine and cam belt area.

but like you said after 2.5/3k RPM the noise goes away :/

Its puzzling me too..

its getting louder! and i need to use the car! so i have been using the car..... if it turns out to be engine related to be honest i am not to worried a 1.8t will take its place quite quickly!

i hopefully will find time on wednesday to get underneath and have a look not had much times due to my intense working hours!

• 3 weeks later...

Problem was sorted earlier on!

i got it over a pit to have a look and it turned out that the bolt that holds the exhaust manifold itself (support bracket) was loose the problem has gone! and now the lupo is being treated to a nice few goodies!