Club Lupo culinary treats...

Koop

SPAM® Eggs Rancheros Breakfast

SPAM_Rancheros_Breakfast.jpg

Method

1. Heat 1tsp of Olive Oil in large ovenproof frying pan, stir in SPAM® Chopped Pork and Ham (cubed) for approx 2-3 minutes, remove and drain on absorbing paper
  2. Heat a further 1tsp of olive oil
  3. Saute the onion and pepper, and chilli (reserve some of the chilli for garnish) and fry on a medium heat for 4-5 minutes until softened but not coloured, stirring occasionally
  4. Stir in the oregano and the chopped tomatoes and bring to the boil. Turn down the heat and simmer for 5 minutes until the peppers are tender and the sauce is slightly reduced and thickened. Season to taste
  5. With a wooden spoon, make 4 holes in the tomato/pepper mixture just large enough to fit the eggs
  6. Carefully stir in cubed SPAM® Chopped Pork and Ham to mixture
  7. Carefully crack one egg into each hole
  8. Season the eggs and bake in the pre-heated oven for 10-12 minutes or until the whites of the eggs are set but the yolks are still runny
  9. Scatter over chopped chives and the remaining chopped chilli and serve straight from the frying pan to the table

Serve with warm crusty bread

This is a stunning recipe. We have used it every pancake day i can remember. Even before the internet got recipes we read it out a Delia book :P

By Delia Smith.

basicpancakeswithsuga_66226_16x9.jpg

Ingredients

For the pancake mixture

To serve

Preparation method

• Sift the flour and salt into a large mixing bowl with a sieve held high above the bowl so the flour gets an airing. Now make a well in the centre of the flour and break the eggs into it. Then begin whisking the eggs - any sort of whisk or even a fork will do - incorporating any bits of flour from around the edge of the bowl as you do so.

• Next gradually add small quantities of the milk and water mixture, still whisking (don't worry about any lumps as they will eventually disappear as you whisk). When all the liquid has been added, use a rubber spatula to scrape any elusive bits of flour from around the edge into the centre, then whisk once more until the batter is smooth, with the consistency of thin cream. Now melt the 50g/2oz of butter in a pan. Spoon 2 tbsp of it into the batter and whisk it in, then pour the rest into a bowl and use it to lubricate the pan, using a wodge of kitchen paper to smear it round before you make each pancake.

• Now get the pan really hot, then turn the heat down to medium and, to start with, do a test pancake to see if you're using the correct amount of batter. I find 2 tbsp is about right for an 18cm/7in pan. It's also helpful if you spoon the batter into a ladle so it can be poured into the hot pan in one go. As soon as the batter hits the hot pan, tip it around from side to side to get the base evenly coated with batter. It should take only half a minute or so to cook; you can lift the edge with a palette knife to see if it's tinged gold as it should be. Flip the pancake over with a pan slice or palette knife - the other side will need a few seconds only - then simply slide it out of the pan onto a plate.

• Stack the pancakes as you make them between sheets of greaseproof paper on a plate fitted over simmering water, to keep them warm while you make the rest.

• To serve, sprinkle each pancake with freshly squeezed lemon juice and caster sugar, fold in half, then in half again to form triangles, or else simply roll them up. Serve sprinkled with a little more sugar and lemon juice and extra sections of lemon.

Basic one really, as a part time chef a lot of people ask me, how to cook a steak. The hardest part is explaining how to know when its rare, medium, well done etc. That comes with practice. The cooking however is simple :)

You'll need:

-Some steak (sirloin, rump, fillet etc)

-A cooker

-Salt and pepper

-Veg oil or olive oil (I use veg oil due to its higher cooking temperature, this give better caramelisation and flavour)

-A frying pan or a griddle pan

-A grill

-A grill/ oven tray.

What you need to do:

-Set your grill to a medium to high heat, unless your grill is crap it shouldn't need to be on full.

-Get your a steak and sprinkle on some pepper, then some salt (in that order, it does make a difference! oh and don't be shy with these!)

-Now, you can use either a frying pan, or a griddle pan. For frying pans, you want enough oil to just cover the base of the pan, no more, no less. For the griddle pan, make sure its well oiled (can be done with kitchen roll covered in oil).

-Put your pan on the stove on a high heat. Wait till the pan is nicely smoking.

-Carefully place your steak into the pan. The side you want to be visible on the plate goes down (service side). It should sizzle, if it doesn't your pan wasn't hot enough.

-It'll need around a 30 secs to a minute in the pan. This is not an exact science. You want to have plenty of colour on it without incinerating it. After all, colour is flavour! If it looks well coloured, flip, give it another 30 seconds (doesn't have to be as long this time.

-Now, if your pan has a plastic handle, i recommend putting the steak into a grill/ oven tray at this point. If your pan is all metal you're good to go. (There is nothing worse than the smell of melting plastic when you're hungry for steak!).

-Place under the grill ideally over 4 inches from the source of heat.

-Before i get onto trying to explain how to cook to your desired level. I will say at this point, that a good way to get a nice texture from a steak is to leave it to stand midway through cooking. What this means. If you want it medium for example, take it out the grill when it is just hitting medium rare. Place on a cool plate.

-When all your other sides like chips and veg etc. are nearly ready, put the steak back under the grill. Cook it to medium now, should only take a few minutes from the medium rare stage. Hopefully, it should be timed correctly with everything else so that when ready, it can go straight on the plate and be served. (Again, takes practice!) Any Juices in the pan/ Tray can be poured onto the steak if desired or added to any accompanying sauces for extra flavour.

Cooking to your requirements.

Here, its all about the prodding. Don't be afraid to poke your steak whilst its cooking, this is the single best way of determining how far a steak is cooked. You may want to practice with a piece to experience all of the stages i am about to list for yourself. Going to do my best here but it really is a hard thing to right down.

-Raw, uncooked: Very soft to the touch. You will notice there is very little elasticity to the meat. So when you poke it, it wont resist your prod really.

-Rare: Will, in theory, not need long under the grill after being coloured on the stove. You are aiming for it to still fell soft but slightly firmer than before. Pay attention to the 'sides' of the steak. You want the steak to appear cooked externally, even if you want it still mooing on the inside!

-Medium Rare: As before with the rare, the thicker bits of the steak (and the centre) should still feel relatively soft when prodded. The edges and thinner bits however should start to feel firm and bounce back.

-Medium: Should all feel relatively firm but springy now.

-Medium Well: This stage in cooking can also be referred to as 'no blood'. The steak will at this point, begin to feel firm and hard now with little 'spring'.

-Well done: Also known as ****ed. The steak will be pretty hard, and you'll be lucky if its retained any moisture. IMO steak should not be served or eaten like this, but hey, the customer is always right!

And thats it really! Hope I've come across clearly, i've never written a cooking guide before. If anyone has any Qs fire away.

Maybe now you can cook a mean steak like me ;)

Edited by joeadamou

Your a chef? What kind?

I like to avoid branded chains and work in independantly owned fine food establishments.

I'm happy to say I've never worked as a thermo warmth application technician.

That's a good ethic to have!

I work in an independent restaurant. My head chef is an old timer from London. Trained at Westminster hotel school, worked at the Dorchester and park lane etc. I am proud that I have been taught properly and winds me up when these pub chains can't even knock up a scampi an chips properly!!

How come you seem to have so much time on your hands Rich?

where I work the same Chefs work Most days, and in the Fine Dining restaurant the head Chefs are the same every night.

Fortunately I am not a chef , I am a Part time Waiter.

it pays..

You should join Pepe and I at shows, we have chef craic.

You can learn of waitress abuse, warfare and accidental deaths.

I'm experienced in all of the above. We can share tactics. A favourite of mine is telling them to go out and get some salmon legs.