Basic Detailing

gatesy0093

So im fairly new to the whole detailing thing, got some basic stuff and was just wondering whats the best methods / order to do everything in.

Heres what i got:

Pressure washer

Stuff for 2BM (Wash mit, triple wax shampoo...)

Halfords blue polish

Turtle wax

plenty of MF towels

might also buy a snow foam extra for the pressure washer, was just wondering what would be the best snow foam to use and whats the pros / cons of using one also when to use it.

Cheers guys :)

Joe

that sounds like you have got the basics. but id get rid of the triple wax shampoo and use something like Meguires gold class or Auto Glym shampoo... just something that is not too acidic and strips the wax off. make sure you stick to the recommendation on the back, if you put too much in it will also strip the wax layer off.

id probably stop using halfords products as there abit cheap and cheerful. i use a range of Meguires, Auto Glym and Poorboys. look at some guides on detailing world and on here to get some idea on some products. also meguires have some really useful videos on there website.

i use Dodo juice wax. the small panel pot. its a hard wax that lasts quite a while on the car providing you look after it. once again, check out some of the guides.

after mastering the basics you could start getting more into it by using other products like clay bar and tire dressing, also cleaning the windows with a high quality MF.

as far as snow foam goes, i don't use it. i know people that do and they swear by it. but its only needed every month or so seeing as a simple wash every week keeps the paintwork nice and clean to stop any serious build up. but i seriously advise that if you do invest in one, buy a good quality lance as the cheapos are rubbish and break

i hope this helps you abit. if you want any other detailing advise you can pm me :)

well ive got a karcher pressure washer so id be getting the karcher snow foam bottle / lance thing.

ive used turtle wax on a friends car and it seemed fine to use and left a nice deep shine? you just dont have the elbow grease :P i'll admit theres probably better stuff but since its only £4 a bottle in wilkos i'll live with it, might try other recomendations though :)

Whats wrong with triplewax shampoo? ive used it once before and it left a nice clean shine and dried easily with mf towels.

Thanks for the replies so far :)

'Cos you're just starting out the list looks pretty good. Personally i would change things about a bit but that's just preference/ experience of using different products. Just try them out and see how you get on and if you want to take it a step further go on detailing world and read up on some products and decide what's best for you.

triple wax shampoo may leave a good deep shine, but the key to keeping that shine is the wax you apply. triple wax shampoo is abit strong and acidic so it tends to strip the wax off. so your forever going wrong in circles

HD wax is way overpriced for what it is, MANY alternatives available from auto finesse, autosmart, dodojuice etc for cheaper which are better :)

As for snowfoam, buy an Autobrite HD foam lance and Autobrite Magifoam!

ok, yeah ive been on the website and got the gist of it :) so is this kinda of a replacement of hand washing? or do you still need to give it a quick once over with a wash mit?

triple wax shampoo may leave a good deep shine, but the key to keeping that shine is the wax you apply. triple wax shampoo is abit strong and acidic so it tends to strip the wax off. so your forever going wrong in circles

LSP's and shampoo's do not make paintwork shine. Machine polishing ie correction & burnishing is what makes the paint shine! Gloss, clarity, depth and shine all come from polishing. LSP's are for protection.