Lupo GTI - a wise investment?

LUPOES

Hi everyone,

So I am considering buying a Lupo GTI when I find one with under 40,000 miles (there are a couple still I think!). Do you think it would make a good investment for the future? Is it a future classic?

I had one two years ago but if I find another one it would be doing no more than 2,000 miles per year. With insurance being between £300 & £500 per year, it would have to go up in value by at least £1,500 in the next five years to make it worthwhile.

There's Mr or Mrs Scirocco on here with the 05 2,000 miler, but that's a seriously long term investment as it cannot be worth more than about £7K today, so about £6K down on the new price for now.

What does everyone reckon?

• Like 1

Can't see it gaining value tbh, best you could hope for's keeping the value by not driving it. What's the point?

• Like 1

Depends if its classed as a classic, considering not many we're sold when first brought out, I would think it might be but there is always that chance that nothing will be worth more as cars develop.... I mean we could be driving hover cars in 20years time ;)

I see no point in buying such a new car as an investment. Whilst it may be a minter when you purchase it, things can change easily and quickly.

As fo gaining £1.5k in the next 5 years? I doubt it very much.

If it goes up in value in 5 years, I'll eat my hat. I considered buying a low mileage one not too long ago but as said above, I wanted it for what it was, not what I wanted it to be. I didn't buy one at the time because of space issues but if I had the space I'm pretty sure there'd be another in garage now. They're a great investment as the residuals are decent, but I wouldn't be buying one with the hope it will appreciate in such a short time frame.

I'd forget about hoping the value will increase to cover ownership costs too. There are very very few cars that will do that. :)

I'd forget about hoping the value will increase to cover ownership costs too. There are very very few cars that will do that. :)

My shit daily, it's more than covered ownership costs and when I fence it, even more profit !

im with Joe... buy something you like and enjoy it...

i really hate "mileage" conversations... mines on high mileage and some people criticise it... why? iv put about 40-50k on mine and loved every moment of it!

if you want a lupo Gti because you like them, then buy one and enjoy it. Run it to the ground.

if you want a future classic buy a mk1 Golf Gti thats been kept in a garage for the last 15 years and stick it in your garage. You could pick one of those up for a little bit more than you will pay for a mint Lupo Gti. no brainer.

• Like 1

Hi everyone,

So I am considering buying a Lupo GTI when I find one with under 40,000 miles (there are a couple still I think!). Do you think it would make a good investment for the future? Is it a future classic?

I had one two years ago but if I find another one it would be doing no more than 2,000 miles per year. With insurance being between £300 & £500 per year, it would have to go up in value by at least £1,500 in the next five years to make it worthwhile.

There's Mr or Mrs Scirocco on here with the 05 2,000 miler, but that's a seriously long term investment as it cannot be worth more than about £7K today, so about £6K down on the new price for now.

What does everyone reckon?

The point is I didnt buy the car as an investment, I just collect interesting volkswagen sports cars so its value is not an issue to me

Thanks all for the later responses. I will hold off for the time being! Buying the current car new hasn't done me any favours so am sticking with it for now! Scirocco, if I had the space I would start a collection too!

haha thanks Silver, that was actually the one I was thinking of when I started this post. The insurance is just too much considering I would park the car underground, cover it and do no more than 2,000 miles a year! The best I was quoted was £200 more than I was paying for my black GTI three years ago, when younger and doing up to 10,000 miles a year. So I've put it off for now and will put the money to better use.

There appears to be an obsession with lower mileage cars, this is either inflating prices for these or lowering the price of GTi with higher mileage.

As long as its been looked after there IMO the difference is marginal. In my view why pay £5,000-6000 for a car that you can get in more or less the same condition with more miles for between £3,000 - 4,000.

My point is that if you can stand the 'stigma' of a higher mileage you will be getting much better value for money for a higher mileage one, the only thing you need to be sure on is that that its been looked after/is in the best condition it can realistically be in.

I'm not for keeping car's of this type/age locked up gathering dust, they need to be enjoyed and driven - any real increase in price over the years will be as a result of numbers becoming scarcer and folks messing them up with mods and tinkering (nothing wriong with this as they are enjoying their car) - eventually time will start to tell on these cars and as the years go by - un molested, original GTi's will be very sought after and will fetch nice prices, the cost of keeping them in the meantime will far outwiegh any gain in selling - the joy of keeping one is what you are paying for.

• Like 1

cars that tend to go up in value and become classics are usually ones that people wanted when they were new but couldnt afford them or even drive. as you become older you can buy your dream car you all ways wanted then its down to supply and demand that pushes the prices up. i dont think the gti ever had a massive following when it was new and even though it will always be a cult car there will never be massive demand to push the prices right up

Edited by electricracer

cars that tend to go up in value and become classics are usually ones that people wanted when they were new but couldnt afford them or even drive. as you become older you can buy your dream car you all ways wanted then its down to supply and demand that pushes the prices up. i dont think the gti ever had a massive following when it was new and even though it will always be a cult car there will never be massive demand to push the prices right up

Ditto,

Unless it has motorsport heritage or a cult following to begin with, they only become valuable due to limited availability through age over a long period of time or as above, being car somebody wanted new when young but takes until they have disposable income later in life to buy.

I would consider the Lupo GTI in the same league as the original Mk1 Golf GTI and that's taken over 30 years for to start dramatically start gaining value each year, prices bottomed out and didn't move for over a decade but now a tidy model would be considered as an wise investment long term due limited availability.

Compare that to a BMW M3 E30 evo sport or Ford Sierra RS500 which both had motorsport history, limited numbers and with a cult following even when released new.

15 years ago they could be pick up for less than £10k (a third/quarter of their original retail) but are now going for insane amounts of money with them nearly hitting six figures for low mileage concour cars just because at the time when they where new it was the car every young petrolhead dreamed of owning.

In five years I don't think you will lose money on a Lupo GTI, but youre better off keeping the money in the bank if you want a investment.

Personally I would get one, enjoy it and not worry whether it lost or gained value

• 2 weeks later...