Lupo 100bhp sport 1.8 20vt conversion.

ScottylupoSport

Right, not sure if this is in the right bit, I'm hopefully going to be starting the conversion within the next month or so. I've got my 2002 lupo sport and after deciding wether to put a 20vt in or supercharge it, I came across a Leon Cupra and can have the full car, less the panels for next to nothing.

No doubt I'll be getting most of the knowledge from this forum but without doubt, I'll get stuck lol.

Only thing I'll ask at this stage is, what is the best way of doing the wiring?

I'll get some pics up soon or you can check my Instagram "Ledreamboat" for all recent pics.

Please feel free to share any tips or stories on the conversion

Thanks Scott

I read your build thread mate (very good it was too) not sure I want to spend £450 on the loom. I bet it is much easier but tbh I always do things the hard way lol.

Thanks for the link tho mate and if I have to, I will use ACR.

Don't suppose you or anyone can suggest the best box to use? I was gonna just get the mk4 5 speed but I hear the mk3 gti is better?

I read your build thread mate (very good it was too) not sure I want to spend £450 on the loom. I bet it is much easier but tbh I always do things the hard way lol.

Don't suppose you or anyone can suggest the best box to use? I was gonna just get the mk4 5 speed but I hear the mk3 gti is better?

The easiest way isnt always the fun way... I like a challange and the pride you feel when you done it yourself.. : )

The best gearbox to use for this conversion is probably the 02J from Golf Mk4 but with driveshafthubs from Golf Mk4 Tdi (100mm)

I myself use an 02J (ENJ-code) with the internals from a Caddy -05 with 0A4-gearbox, this may be the strongest combination you can build of

oem-parts. A peloquin or Quaife diffrential doesent make it worse : )

when it comes to doing a conversion... if your not prepared to get your money out and pay for the best i wouldnt bother. Its not something you want to cut corners on mate.

Good luck with it and look forward to seeing it done

The easiest way isnt always the fun way... I like a challange and the pride you feel when you done it yourself.. : )

The best gearbox to use for this conversion is probably the 02J from Golf Mk4 but with driveshafthubs from Golf Mk4 Tdi (100mm)

I myself use an 02J (ENJ-code) with the internals from a Caddy -05 with 0A4-gearbox, this may be the strongest combination you can build of

Thanks Daniel. I was originally going to go with the golf mk4 box but read somewhere about the mk3 gti box being better. I'll stick with the mk4 box then.

Cheers mate.

when it comes to doing a conversion... if your not prepared to get your money out and pay for the best i wouldnt bother. Its not something you want to cut corners on mate.

Good luck with it and look forward to seeing it done

I won't be cutting any corners mate. Why does the solution have to involve throwing ££££s at it? Norpan done it himself, does that mean he cut corners? As with anything on this build, I will have a go myself and if I can't do it, then I will send it away. Surely if you've a decent mechanical competency, it's a better sense of satisfaction knowing you did it yourself.

Thanks Scott

Sounds good mate, thanks. I think a Quaife diff is definitely on the shopping list.

Obviously.

Well thats exactly what Piers was trying to say. And you challenged him, so it wasnt obvious was it? I hope to god you do it mate, but if you want some help of people, dont alienate them!

I didn't challenge him. He basically said I was cutting corners by not sending my loom off. I said I was going to give it a go myself just like Norpan did. I'm 30 years old with over 12 years of working as a mechanic, not some skint 18 year old with a dream of building a fast car with no money!

I didn't challenge him. He basically said I was cutting corners by not sending my loom off. I said I was going to give it a go myself just like Norpan did. I'm 30 years old with over 12 years of working as a mechanic, not some skint 18 year old with a dream of building a fast car with no money!

if your not "skint" send it off and get it done right... it will still cost you big money to do it yourself, especially if you get it wrong and have to do it again. £450 isnt a lot if you look at the rest your spending on brakes etc. its actually not a lot of money at all for what you would be getting! and i wasnt suggesting you were cutting corners on just the loom. i suggested that doing a conversion like this corners should not be cut. Basically get it done right the first time by people that know what they are doing, so it works and mainly so its safe. as a mechanic you will know how to do the mechanical side of the conversion ie welding etc so you will save a fortune on that alone, IMO your best getting the electrical side of it done by someone who has done it before (using the money you have saved on the mechanical part of the conversion) unless you are really good with electrics and ECU's.

Again, this isnt criticism, its just my opinion and overlook on the situation. Good luck.

if your not "skint" send it off and get it done right... it will still cost you big money to do it yourself, especially if you get it wrong and have to do it again. £450 isnt a lot if you look at the rest your spending on brakes etc. its actually not a lot of money at all for what you would be getting! and i wasnt suggesting you were cutting corners on just the loom. i suggested that doing a conversion like this corners should not be cut. Basically get it done right the first time by people that know what they are doing, so it works and mainly so its safe. as a mechanic you will know how to do the mechanical side of the conversion ie welding etc so you will save a fortune on that alone, IMO your best getting the electrical side of it done by someone who has done it before (using the money you have saved on the mechanical part of the conversion) unless you are really good with electrics and ECU's.

Again, this isnt criticism, its just my opinion and overlook on the situation. Good luck.

Thanks for your advice on the wiring. I wasn't having a go, I am grateful for all your thoughts. I've got people around me who are very good with wiring/ ecus so hopefully they'll be able to sort it out. The owner of wood sport is a good friend of mine and all he does is engine conversions so hopefully he'll have some spare time to do it.

Thanks scott

contact andrew outhwaite from ACR (facebook) ... you send both loooms off and get a plug and play back! ... best money I ever spent!

i like the sound of a place that makes custom looms this could be helpfull in the future!

Do you have to have custom drive shafts for this converstion? there was also mention of using mk4 hubs, so do you adapt the lupo struts to fit or how does that part work?

I know exactly what Scotty is saying by at least giving it a go himself, if something goes wrong he has the money to then get pro help, but if all goes well, then hes just done his own conversion, which not many are able to say? And hes got to learn some how. Once upon a time those professionals tried there first loom or whatever.

Couple of months ago i removed engine, stripped and rebuilt, refitted and sorted it. Was my first ever time doing it and only came out with a few problems lol but considering my lack of tools and knowledge on everything to consider when rebuilding engines, the job has impressed many including myself :)

i like the sound of a place that makes custom looms this could be helpfull in the future!

Do you have to have custom drive shafts for this converstion? there was also mention of using mk4 hubs, so do you adapt the lupo struts to fit or how does that part work?

I´ve done all my wiring myself, 2 times!!

First when converting to the Agu engine that runs motronic 5.2 and the second time I converted my car to

the motronic 7.5 from Audi S3 with flybywire, etc.

It can be done without too much effort....

Just take your time to read the wiringdiagrams and make up a crosslist, everything you need i pretty much there

under the bonnet already...

About the driveshafts...

No you do not use the mk4 hubs! Just my mistake in bad english : )

You use the Mk4 tdi inner driveflanges so you get 100mm innerjoints.

I´ve used driveshafts from an Golf Mk2 16v, the right one is untouched and the left is shortend about 4cm.

This has worked on my car and i´m running 260bhp and 380nm so.....

Edited by Norpan

I think if i was doing the converstion i would definatly atempt the wirring myself,as i just like the fact you ca say you did it yourself!!,but it would be piece of mind to know there was someone that could definately do it right.

did you figure how to sort the driveshafts ect out your self? pretty clever :shades:

Silence? I replied mate.

haha sorry bud. it came up in the reply box and only had a quick glance so didnt notice it :)

thats fair enough mate. if you can get it done go for it! look forward to seeing it done :)