Straight pipe?

Epick

Yeah, I'm place of the backbox :) or in place of the midbo and then replace the back box with a midbox. Midboxes alone sound really nice, back boxes alone make you sound like a Corsa :)

I don't have a straight through, I have a cat and a midbox. You haven't heard mine, I've heard mine and a sportex. Mine is not a chavvy sound, sounds just like it did before only a little louder and more low end. The sportex ones either just burble like a scooby or fart like a Corsa.

I don't have a straight through, I have a cat and a midbox. You haven't heard mine, I've heard mine and a sportex. Mine is not a chavvy sound

Apologies, that sounded wrong. I wasn't referring to your car, rather what the op was planning to do

It's coool, sorry dude, just had a lot of people give it the 'why bother its a 1.0' treatment which winds me up. Ill get a vid up soon but I like to think it sounds good :)

• Like 1

Couldnt tell you exactly. When you phone them tell them that your backbox fell off and was damaged so you had a pipe welded in. And also that its not really louder, just a nicer note ;)

Edited by joeadamou
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

i have a straight through system on mine, it was custom made so when it came to the guy asking me how load, i told him to pack the silencers as much a humanly possible, so it doesn't sound chavvy as all, you would think it would be load on the motorway but actually mines really quiet :) but i have heard that putting a good filter on gets a good tone from the engine without the price of a s/steel exhaust

Interesting thread. On my green 1.0E, the OEM backbox and tailpipe fell off at about 80k (ridiculously high according to Staffordshire Tyre & Battery).

It fell off midweek, which is a bad time for me, so it took something like 10-12 days before I actually got it fixed. In truth, I work office hours so getting it sorted was a bit of a pain. I have to be honest, I grew to like the sound of my 1.0 with no exhaust on. I'd disagree Joe and say that it sounded better than chainsaw :P although I wasn't the one outside.

It certainly didn't sound Corsa'ish, which is a sort of high pitched fizzing noise (see McDonalds car park Friday nights). It was a lower pitched sound, although it definitely sounded a bit Barry boy which is why I couldn't keep it for long. To get around the issue of being caught, I kept the old exhaust in the boot lol, expecting to be pulled. I'd have just said, it fell off earlier and I've got the old one in the boot.

The main reason I wanted to reply though, I do think it affected my MPG, only slightly though. There's a lot of hoo-ha about whether petrol cars truly scavenge and whether having a straight pipe reduces economy, well, just talking from experience, it seemed to in my case. I can get a very specific 4 trips to work and back on my green Lupo, at which point it's running on fumes. Well, that week, I had to fill up earlier than usual because I burnt more petrol.

I can't tell if that's because I was putting my foot down a lot more to get the sound :P or the fact it wasn't scavenging, but it's just something worth considering if you use it as a daily.

I did hear someone say that if it's the sound you are after, you could just cut the backbox in half, remove all the sound reduction material (like fur i think they said) and leave the baffles in and you'd get a much louder raspy exhaust, without losing the economy. Don't know though tbh.

Edited by Skezza

Mines pretty much the same mpg now i have the pipe welded in. Alot of it is down to the subconscious need to make more noise!

Edited by JoeA

Mines pretty much the same mpg now i have the pipe welded in. Alot of it is down to the subconscious need to make more noise!

Yes. I do half consider that might be a possibility :P

• Like 1

Cheers for the reply, Bare in mind that my 'rosa is only 1.0 L and I took it to a generic tyre and exhaust company who told me that it is seriously unrecommended because apparently it loses the back pressure, lose hp, does the engine no good and will make it so loud its a 'Police magnet' They did seem really unfriendly but thought i'd just pass this past you guys aswell.. Cheers.