What the hell is wrong with my Lupo???

LittleLudo

So I got my Lupo back in June.

Its my first car and I loved it but ever since I have had it its been nothing but problems.

About 4 weeks ago I ended up having lots of battery trouble which then lead to me breaking down. This problem turned out to be the alternator which cost me £300 to get it replaced at Halfords.

Since then the car just hasnt been feeling right to me. To start with when at traffic lights it constantly feels like the engine is having power surges and it worried me that its going to stall all the time. It never has just feel like the engine is struggling to keep going.

Today when I drove it....It hadnt been driven for a few days and the exhaust emisson light thing came back on (It had been on a month back but went off) Its usually stays on constantly but this time it decided to flash a few times.

The engine whilst I drove it the short distance also didnt feel right at all...kept surging and then every so often the rest of the dashboard error lights would flash up for literally a second...and then all go back off again???

I actually cannot afford to have it looked at. People have told me it may be a filter that is blocked in exhaust system but woudl that cause the issues with the engine sounding funny???

Any advice would be greatly appreciated....as you can probably tell I am awful with cars!!

Any garage will scan it for around £20 or leas

Didn't realise it was that cheap.

@the op, not worth a 160 mile round trip if it only costs £20?

Also, you could just get the free version of vagcom and a cable cos i'm pretty sure the free version lets you scan, just doesn't let you clear the codes.

I'm sure someone local to take a look at it if your around the Manchester area I can

I think halfords charging you £300 is a complete rip off you can easily pick up a decent used item for £30 and find a small garage to fit it for £50 max

I work in a breakers yard if you need anything just let me know and definitely don't go to halfords

Yeah, Halfords definitely mugged you a bit there (sorry to say). eBay and scrappies are full of cheap alternators. I've seen reconditioned ones at under £100 so I definitely think they had you a bit there I'm afraid.

The engine whilst I drove it the short distance also didnt feel right at all...kept surging and then every so often the rest of the dashboard error lights would flash up for literally a second...and then all go back off again???

Sounds to me like the spark plugs are on the way out. The spark plug blew in my 4th cylinder on my old arosa after the car losing power and engine lights flickering on and off. Replaced all four and got someone to clear the light on the dash and was fine since. I may be wrong but its worth getting it plugged in to see..

You engine "surges" may be a dirty throttle body, easy to get to and with a £2 can of carb cleaner it may sort that... plus, even if it isnt that, never hurts to give it a clean!

as above plug into diagnostics... may find it could be your lamada... little pricey for what they are but at least you will fix the problem.