Guess what i did!

Piers

Ok, i managed to get into a debate over the internet! i dont know how i managed to do it... very out of character.... anyway, i think all young drivers on here should thank me for defending them on the sun website....

Basically, a young lad has killed an old bloke crossing the road in his nova with a 1.6 engine in it, not declared = not insured. Driving like an idiot. No excuses.

On the website people are basically ripping into young drivers saying modifications should be illegal, put insurance up etc etc...

I thought it would only be right to back up our side of the argument!

my first comment.

Firstly, my thoughts go out to the family and friends of the gentleman that lost his life. May he rest in peace.Secondly, i think people need to get off the band waggon and stop steriotyping "young" drivers! Not everyone is the same as this fool. This is no excuse to stop modifications to cars. I myself have a modified car and have declared everything on my insurance, its my pride and joy. I drive around like a 90 year old snail because i dont want to damage anything iv paid my hard earnt money for. Yes thats right, im one of these "idiots" who practically stops to go over a speed bump and winds up other drivers when i avoid pot holes that my £200 a year road tax doest seem to solve, i get pulled over by the police because driving home from my girlfriends at night is seen as unusual behaviour, i get abuse shouted at me and called all manner of names as i drive innocently past crouds of walkers and bikers, this all happens because mindless fools like 99% commenting on this article steriotype younger people who have nice cars.

I have "fancy" wheels and lowering suspension, different interior and good quality speakers in my car. does that make me a bad driver? no it makes me a safe YOUNG driver who takes pride in what i work for, i go to car shows as a hobby. Who is to say there is anything wrong with that? i dont comment on walkers, cyclists, horse riders, book readers, weekend footballers, cricket players etc... everyone has different hobbies and its a shame that the narrow minded british public steriotype others because they have a different interest and spend their money on other activities.

There is no denying that SOME young drivers are dangerous. But does that not stand for all drivers? If stats were analysed im almost certain that the majority of speeding fines and points are allocated to people over the age of 30. Im sure that the majority of insuance claims and accidents are also allocated to people over the age of 30.

Rant over

Someone replied,

sorry pal but the statistics compiled by insurance companies definitely show that most road traffic offences of ALL kinds are committed by young men in the age bracket of 17-24. It is logical therefore that is why insurance fees for this class of driver is the highest of all groups. Where I live there are many boy racers - I never see many older or female ones. Also, modifications to cars often involves making the vehicle more noisy. I would curtail this practice by lobbying the VLA to get a part of the MOT to test for decibel readings. I would also urge insurance companies to raise even higher the policy for young men - basically to get them off the road.

So i replied back

i completely disagree. Those figures you are refering too must be either made up or non existant. I agree that insurance for "younger" drivers should be more as they are not experienced and dont have no claims bonus', thats obvious. Its logical, nothing to do with boy racers and how they drive.

If you NEVER see older/females driving dangerously you must live in a remote village occupied solely by boy racers.

Your incorrect in your statement about how cars are modified to make them more noisy, my car for example has a standard engine and exhaust and is extremely quiet but is highly modified for asthetic purposes.

If you take a car like a subaru or an Evo, 9/10 times they are modified to make them faster. Now just for the record, a 17-24 year old would find it extremely difficult/impossible to insure. Thats just ONE example... there are many more! Older males/females modify cars too. Not just young lads.

" I would also urge insurance companies to raise even higher the policy for young men - basically to get them off the road." For this statement only, i find you insulting. If you are really that naive then you should encourage yourself to get out more. How do you expect young people to make a life of themselves if you are trying to stop them basic things like driving. Its hard enough for young people to insure a car due to high premiums and the constant increase of property value. Most jobs rely on people commuting to and from work, this means driving.

People that have the same outlook as you are those that call young drivers w****** if they dont let you cross the road or dont let you out of a junction. Its a shame your mentality exists. I dont mean to insult you by my statement but its my honest opinion. It appears that a "boy racer" (someone thats young with a modified car) has a more mature outlook on life and its happenings than you. This invalidates your entire argument. By the way im 23, my car is modified, this must make me a boy racer who should not be allowed to drive.

Hispanic-Clap.gif

I know too well the feeling, I love being tailgaited by older drivers with them shouting abuse out of the window for me doing a 30 in a 30, them overtaking dangerously to then sit at 30 in a national speed limit. I hate old people and know full well the stereotype!! My own family stereotype me, if a friend picks me up in a modified car they say "Give me a text when you get to so and so location" If it's a standard car there's not even a peep! haha

• Like 2

He might have had an argument if he'd said most accidents involve young drivers but he said most traffic offenses, which actually have no bearing on insurance premiums. :rolleyes:

Now stop reading things on the Sun website - especially the comments - it will only make you angry. Not as bad as the daily fail tho obvs.

Koop you are kind of right and wrong, on a individual basis traffic offences do have an effect of premiums, try getting insured with a dangerous driving ban on your licence.

Age bands and likely hood of breaking traffic laws arent taken into account, only the likely hood of that band crashing.

I though it would make a good read.

Really gets under my skin when people give us youngsters a hard time.

I'm sure people know exactly what I mean. Like when there are 30 pensioners waiting at a bus stop with those hiking sticks and maps around their neck. As you drive past (completely normal and in a safe way, not speeding, no loud music etc) you get 30 snarling looks of disgust. Why does it happen?! I wouldn't stop my car and give them a hard time about going for a walk.

Im with Adrian Flux mate. Got 3 points last year. All mods declared etc. £850 and im 23. 3 years NCB. Driving almost 6 years but i was on my parents insurance at first.

Haha yeah im going to invest in a morris minor, that way I can see eye to eye with the oldies.

Well said mate!

As for a Morris Minor get one like this ha ha Rover V8 powered :)

Cheap Insurance & Free Road Tax ;)

CE4B49F8-A655-497F-BF7B-3B96B9905F5C-5886-0000081731BE5DBA_zps759b2d9c.jpg

Im with Adrian Flux mate. Got 3 points last year. All mods declared etc. £850 and im 23. 3 years NCB. Driving almost 6 years but i was on my parents insurance at first.

Ah not to bad then.

I'll have to get a quote should be a fair bit less I'm 24 with 6years points now gone.

Was insuring the anni 1.8T for £500

Well said mate!

As for a Morris Minor get one like this ha ha Rover V8 powered :)

Cheap Insurance & Free Road Tax ;)

CE4B49F8-A655-497F-BF7B-3B96B9905F5C-5886-0000081731BE5DBA_zps759b2d9c.jpg

Haha!! i would seriously own one if i could get a quick turbo'd engine in it. Get one running around 3-400bhp.

Ah not to bad then.

I'll have to get a quote should be a fair bit less I'm 24 with 6years points now gone.

Was insuring the anni 1.8T for £500

yeah you should be laughing then really mate