Double din surround

shaunsprules

OK, I fitted a double DIN unit a while ago, and trust me, it can be a bit of a pain, so if you don't mind a bit of it then read on.

The FP-17-00 is kind of suitable, but there's a couple of problems with it (or at least on mine) that you can't see from the photo.

Firstly, the one I bought was VERY tight around my unit, far too tight in fact. I actually didn't want to slide my device in due to fear of damaging it. Fix, easy enough, 2 minutes of sand paper on the inside. Just allows it to slide a little more. Plus, it doesn't need to be tight as you screw the device to the cage, which is reinforced when you clip it into the dash. It ain't going nowhere, trust me lol!

Secondly, the one I bought was also too big for the gap in the dash board. I'd say 2-3mm plus which when you are trying to fit something into a precise hole is a huge amount. The fix was much harder, I had to take a heavy duty disk sander to both sides to make it fit. That included me sanding off the rails that sort of of guide it in. It's not a big issue because as I said, there are two large clips which secure it into place so actually, the slide rails do very little. I think they are just supposed to make sliding it into the hole a little bit easier, but to be honest, I have no problem sliding it in or out without. Definitely an important consideration, especially if yours turns out to be the same (the sanding I mean).

Finally, in a somewhat, disasterous design move, the one I bought had a tiny lip on the inside of the hole all the way round. I have absolutely no idea who came up with that but he deserves to lose his job. As you can guess, the lip will prevent ANYTHING you slide in from looking flush with your dashboard and will recess it by a couple of mm's. It also makes certain devices completely inoperable as it may block the CD tray from ejecting or the loading mechanism from releasing. The fix for this was even harder. I had to take an angle grinder round the inside of my FP-17-00, to remove the lip. There's no way I could have done it with sand paper, there was simply too much plastic. It wasn't an easy job, and when it was finished, it wasn't as tidy as I'd liked, HOWEVER, my device came with a surround which clipped onto the front that covers it and now fitted, it looks wicked!

Your experience may differ and tbh, I hope it does, but I was NOT impressed with my FP-17-00. I can't understand why I had to perform such drastic measures to make it fit, especially as it was advertised as specifically for the Lupo. The only thing I can think is if the design spec is licensed by Autoleads, as such manufacturers may produce cheap less precise copies and perhaps that is what mine turned out to be.

By the way, be prepared for hair pulling with regards to space behind the device, you'll need to get quite inventive to hide wires and what not, but trust me, it's worth it :-)

Anyway, hope this helps. Picture (sorry for the bloom, phone camera isn't great, screen doesn't normally look like that haha. Notice the surround around the edge of my device, which covers the work I had to do with the angle grinder. I'll take it off if I get chance later and take a picture for you):

20120808133850.jpg

Edited by Skezza

Despite, everything in my previous reply, I still prefer the look and style of the FP-17-00 over the others, especially those Universal Double DIN Cage's, which normally result in loads of metal around the outside and just look crap.

Thanks for the write up !!!! As the one I have ATM isn't secure I.e nee to prop it up and slides in and out -_- I might email them asking if I will need to make to modifications to make it fit or if they have improved the design

Well, my FP-17-00 was from Motorguard, a Birmingham based company. They are usually very good, I've bought lots from them over the years, but for this, it seemed the cage was not good at all. Well made, very strong plastic (as I found while angle grinding and sanding), but clearly the wrong dimensions. Very unsuitable if you don't fancy getting a bit stuck in with some DIY modifications. I don't mind making the modifications to stuff like that as the alternative is returning it and waiting (not really worth it when it only cost about £6).

I do wonder though, because some companies like Motorguard and Liquid Ice are able to sell the FP-17-00 for cheap, when others are selling them for £15.00+.

If Autoleads simply license the CAD design, any company can produce them for pennies but with that comes the issues of precision as seen with mine. If I'd got it from a more expensive distributor, perhaps it would have slotted in perfectly first time.

I bought this one, was a tight fit, went in without mods though, gotta get one corner in first. The way i see it, not even release keys could get it out :D it can be taken out though, but it inolves removing the cupholders and a lot of !@??!?!?@@?.

I bought this one, was a tight fit, went in without mods though, gotta get one corner in first. The way i see it, not even release keys could get it out :D it can be taken out though, but it inolves removing the cupholders and a lot of !@??!?!?@@?.

I can get mine out slightly easier than that. I use an iPod pry tool, which just allows a tiny bit of movement, then once I can get my fingers under, pulling the device up and away releases it. If I just pull though it won't come.

:cheeky:

Nice :P Walked right into that one.

Pics with and without plastic surround. You can see where I've not been so precise with the grinder:

20120919134000.jpg

Close up with surround.

20120919134447.jpg

Again

20120919134135.jpg

No surround.

20120919134147.jpg

Bit imprecise down the right hand there.

20120919134207.jpg

Better down the left but still not good. The little bit of plastic underneath the corner was from the plastic film that the device came in. I didn't peel all of it off lol!

20120919134234.jpg

Nice big chunk missing there.

So as you can tell, the surround for me is quite useful because it just takes the edge off those marks and masks the fact it was a DIY noob job lol :D Not my finest hour of DIY, but hey, it does a nice job and it's securely held in to my dash :)

Edited by Skezza