Fined for taking pictures of car...

MrSloanes

Okay so one of the dubascrub lads has received a letter to say they are subject to a fine because they have reason to beleive that he was taking photos of his car. It doesn't state where but the only place he has in Sunderland was when he was with me and the photos were taken in the little industrial estate behind the stadium of. Light. Now if that's the case surely every single person who walks to the match while having a lough and taking pictures should also have been fined? I have not received any letter however I was only using my phone.

P.s I told him to dispute the fine as he didn't have a flash on the camera anyway so there is no solid proof to show he defo took any. Even tho he was walking around the cars with a camera.

This ever happened to anyone on here?

Oh and the letter was from the council.

Dispute it. If it's public throughway [road or pedestrian] he can take pictures of whatever he likes.

I assume they tracked him through his reg plate.

Google Edinburgh Mullberry Walk photograph

I know it's Scottish law, but still.

PS Sure it's not a wind up as I'm sure the letter would have to state the exact time an location of the so called offence.

What's the fine actually for, you don't say ?

Is it for taking pictures of a car or for trespassing

Who is the letter from ?

To pass opinion we really need more info as said by scotty. Was he on privately owned property? Was there signs stating photography isn't allowed? What's the fine for?

I personally would dispute it, as a photography student we get taught a lot about our rights especially when it comes to photographing in a public place and basically you can photograph anyone or anything within a public space providing you are inside the law (gets tricky when your photographing peoples children who you don't know etc) You can photograph any building as long as it is viewable from said public space. A law is only broken once you trespass onto private property.

If they say that you we're on private property your banged to rights but obviously you can dispute the fact if there we're no signs stating it was private etc but I'm still not sure they have the right to impose a fine on you. They have the power to have you removed from the land at the time by the police but I'll be very interested to see how this turns out.

As far as I'm aware the only public location in the UK which you need written permission from the Mayor to photograph in (and use the work commercially) are Trafalgar Square and Parliament Square.

We really need more info before we can offer advise, as said a copy of the letter would be best. That photo suggests to me that it's a public highway but it could be on private property and say the fine is for 'parking' he can always dispute that it was his car and unless they have evidence to suggest otherwise in a court the fine would get crushed.

Dispute it. If it's public throughway [road or pedestrian] he can take pictures of whatever he likes.

I assume they tracked him through his reg plate.

Google Edinburgh Mullberry Walk photograph

[media=]

I know it's Scottish law, but still.

PS Sure it's not a wind up as I'm sure the letter would have to state the exact time an location of the so called offence.

That is ridiculous lol! Heading to Edinburgh end of September so will try and check this area out, maybe get a few snaps.

• 3 weeks later...

If you are on a public highway, then there is absolutely no reason you cannot take photos. Otherwise you wouldn't be allowed to take photos of someone committing a crime for use in court. Demand a justification for the fine. If they can't give you one, don't pay it.

Edited by Skezza
  • Like 1