Jazz Blue Lupo TDI Sport - Now with lows & G60 brakes - Detailed 29/8/12

Deako

Hello All. I'm kind of a new member. Well, in the fact that this is my first Lupo (just got a kick in the side, really its the wifes). I used to organise Club GTI Worcestershire meets and some of you may remmeber the show we used to put on at Ragley Hall for which we really had excellent support from you guys.

Over recent years ive owned some pretty tasty new VAG machinery. Including a Mk5 Golf GTI, Scirocco GT TSI and up until a week ago a 2011 6R Polo GTI. The latest being my favourite modern VW i have ever owned. What a machine!!

Well, we recently decided to sell this and get a T4 Camper as well as a suitable daily/project car for the wife. With the T4 Camper sorted, we finally chanced upon a Lupo TDI Sport advertised on Pistonheads. It was pricier than a lot we had already seen, but to be honest, a lot of the cars we had seen were complete and utter dogs.

It is a Y plate 2001 TDI Sport with Aircon & ABS!!!!

As advertised on Pistonheads.

7833946088_7b4ff81afc_z.jpg

Lupo TDI Sport by LukeDeakin, on Flickr

7833945904_86055334dd_z.jpg

7833945772_8eac053e1f_z.jpg

7833945644_b4d55e5c31_z.jpg

7833945486_534fab8367_z.jpg

Back home and debadged.

7833964198_2b34c2d209_z.jpg

Untitled by LukeDeakin, on Flickr

Car had been used on a farm. Engine was just covered in mud. Spent a good hour cleaning, spraying, agitating and jet washing the engine bay. Looks a million times better now though.

7833967146_f3334ddb8f_z.jpg

7833969838_fbcd0a8e2e_z.jpg

Side strips removed. Lots of elbow grease needed here. And after a really good clean.

7833972674_9e77519860_z.jpg

New wheels arrived on Tuesday. 15" Lenso BSX. Look really smart. Coilovers also arrived, but im just waiting on bits to do a 280mm G60 brake upgrade and some new top mounts, bearings and rear bump stops, brake pads and G60 carriers\discs. Also going to give the calipers and rear drums a lick of paint when i stick the coilovers on.

7833975638_861dac7eb4_z.jpg

So, all in all quite a bit of progress since we picked the car up on Saturday.

Lots of other stuff planned. As already mentioned 280mm brakes are going on, coilovers are going on this weekend. I have just fitted some Team Heko wind deflectors and a bonnet bra is also being delivered tomorrow.

Future plans are: Decat single box stainless exhaust, refurbish lots of things as we go. New engine mounts. Remap of some kind. Maybe ARBs. Maybe a Lupo GTI rear disc conversion (so im holding off refurbishing the drums).

When i was fitting the wind deflectors earlier, i had the common problem of the window getting stuck in the down position. Cue lots of swearing, complete strip down of the door and a regrease of all the mechanisms and its working again.

Edited by Deako

Cheers. Also ordered new strut lower bolts and nuts (front and rear), carrier bolts and caliper bolts, disc retaining screw and also some new geuine mats.

Edited by Deako

hello fellow TDI owner! lovely motor you got there, and only 78k miles! will keep my eye on this thread :clap:

Thanks. Love the colour concept interior!! Would love to get my hands on one of those interiors.

Should be getting the car remapped hopefully at Awesome GTI. Also, asking around to see what in the way of engine mounts can be made up for the TDI to try and improve engine movement. One thing i dont like about the engine when the mounts are worn (as mine are) is the balance of the 3 cylinder engine causing a rocking motion under braking.

Edited by Deako

Spent most the day fitting the Pro Sport coilovers that i got from eBay for Gemmas Lupo. I took it for a test drive this evening once i had cleaned up (there wasnt any daylight left). Better pics will follow once its cleaned and sunny tomorrow.

7859796584_75387204c8_c.jpg

7859794070_de0a8680e2_c.jpg

1 top mount nut was seized. Spent all my effort and had to get my cousin to help as i dont have any air tools. A rear spring seat was corroded into the beam and i hadnt realised, cue lots of swearing trying to ge the rear adjusters in till Gemma pointed it out. A quick tap with hammer/screwdriver and it was out. Also, 1 nut holding the top mounts/spring plates on to the old front shocks was stuck tight. Had to get the neighbour to help with a bench vice and my 7mm brake allen key.

Ended up wasting about 3 hours in total just because of these things.

looks great, and amazingly clean! maybe a stubby ariel next?

Fitted the 280mm setup today. Thanks to someone on Club GTI for supplying me with a set of G60 carriers that had been beautifully refurbished in black satin powder coat.

Had a few problems. Typical of the 280mm conversion on the Mk2 when using the 256mm calipers, i had to grind down the slider nuts 2-3mm. Also, the brand new Lupo GTI pads were too thick for the caliper to fit over with the piston compressed all the way back in. So i had to use my existing pads which were part worn. Nice and even wear, but will take a little longer to bed in now. I also had to grind down a 15mm spanner to fit the new sliders. Haha!!

Gave the calipers a really good grind down with a conical wire brush attachment for my angle grinder. They were then painted in Hammerite Satin Black spray paint. They are looking really fresh now. Gem is well impressed!!! ;)

Also increased the ride height by 10mm, as after it had settled it was REALLY low. Its still really low now, but a little more usable.

Please ignore the overspray on the disc. I painted the centers and outers to stop them corroding so fast.

7866798034_eb067d20a4_c.jpg

Lupo G60 Brake Upgrade by LukeDeakin, on Flickr

How the car sits now with the slightly improved ride height. Looks great imo!!

7866808952_712b881f45_c.jpg

Lupo Slammed on Lenso BSX, Coilies and G60 brakes by LukeDeakin, on Flickr

Forgot to mention that all new caliper to carrier bolts, carrier to upright bolts, disc retaining screws and strut bolts were all used during this refurb, as well as new top mounts and bearings and rear bump stops!!

love this man, such fast progress, i'm going as slow as possible with mine as i will be gutted when there's nothing left to do! great work though :clap:

Winter is fast approaching and only round the corner. I hate working on cars in the winter. Scraped knuckles, bent fingers, stubbed nails. Not fun when its -5. Ouch!!

Thanks. We had these plans the moment we saw the car for sale. Had most the bits sorted the day after we picked it up!! :D

Eventually, a full retrim in tan hide or maybe something different (maybe white with blue stitch to make it more feminine for the wife). Double din headunit. Some nice components up front. Maybe black plastics. All the grey plastics need taking out and giving a really good thorough cleaning to be honest.

Also, the car is going in for a full detail this week. And i would like to do a rear pop out window conversion.

Edited by Deako

Lupo has now been detailed and de-swirled. Looks 1 million times better.

7890056870_ea133bc4d1_c.jpg

Detailed @ Detail My Ride by LukeDeakin, on Flickr

7890059744_e7eab10805_c.jpg

Outside Shot After Detail @ Detail My Ride by LukeDeakin, on Flickr

7890062174_ed4a1b56a2_c.jpg

Reflection Shot - Beautiful Flake Pop by LukeDeakin, on Flickr

Level of correction achieved on the paintwork. Amazing!!

538503_484722691537837_804731792_n.jpg

If anyone wants their car doing, Midlands or even if you want to travel.

http://www.detailmyride.co.uk or http://www.facebook.com/DetailMyRide

Ask for Nathan or Gaz and tell them Luke referred you.

It varies depending on the level of correction required, products you want used, and damage to the paint and work required. If you say £200 as a ballpark figure (prices are on the website, for a basic enhancement detail) then it could cost less/more depending on requirements. ;)

http://www.detailmyride.co.uk/services.html