power specs on an SDI ?

Im sure you could turbo one, but its not as simple as just slamming on a turbo. Would cost a lot more than the price of a 1.4 tdi which can be mapped to destroy a lupo sport. Supposedly they sick out 59 hp and 85ftlb of torque, almost identical to a 1.4 8v. But thats all on paper, they're still good cars but i think they'd be slower than a 1.0 petrol of the line.

Ive driven a 1.9sdi fabia and that was a lot slower than mine!

Turbo'ing the SDI is a real option: http://forums.clublu...showtopic=90792 -not as said as simple as slapping a turbo on, but a small bit of work and a piggyback ECU and it can be done.

As for quickness, the only problem I find with my SDI, is that if you don't gauge a steep incline properly, you'll crawl up it (which is where the turbo would be useful). Apart from that, it's quite a nippy motor even if it is a non-turbo diesel, especially at 0-40mph. Most of the time at lights people seem to look surprised when you wheel away from them without trying. And it's also great for cruising at motorway speeds, even at 90mph+ the rev gauge doesn't go past 3000rpm -it'll never scream like a 1litre.

Edited by Hazy

hi hazy, we also have the 1.7 sdi lup. i have several turbos lying around which i've been looking at to put on sophies lup in the future,including some very nice variable vane 1.9 tdi jobbies. i spent quite a long time tuning the old school diesels with great success in my old caddy pickup, so apart from a few subtle mods i cant see much trouble here. by the way are all the 1.7 sdi's fantasia, he hee

Well if you do get around to doing it before me (more than likely!), please do a build thread! Do the VAG family variable vane 1.9 tdi's have the same similar engine codes as the MK4? would make it cheaper sourcing a similar set up for sure.

And yeah, most Fantasia green loops I seen knocking around are either 1litre Es or SDI S'! Think i've only ever seen one TDI in the colour -and as much as I tried, the owner wouldn't part with it!

• Like 1

Yea I would imagine its not just a bolt on job :P

Really fancy a 1.4 tdi though, like REALLY fancy one lol it won't be for a while any way (unless my luck changes and a money tree spouts in the garden) just fishing for info ATM to make the right choice :)

Well if you do get around to doing it before me (more than likely!), please do a build thread! Do the VAG family variable vane 1.9 tdi's have the same similar engine codes as the MK4? would make it cheaper sourcing a similar set up for sure.

And yeah, most Fantasia green loops I seen knocking around are either 1litre Es or SDI S'! Think i've only ever seen one TDI in the colour -and as much as I tried, the owner wouldn't part with it!

Haha! & yeah, the turbo i have is from a Mk4 anyway so the codes will be similar :-)

i think the Sdi is alot Quicker than people think when you know how to drive it.

when you know what gear to be in and what revs to be at they are very fun to drive.

and are very dependable and Heroic on fuel.

im glad i chose the 1.7 over the 1.0.

130miles of £10 :--)

this is what i like to hear james, trouble is you dont usually get both speed and economy

The SDI has a lot going for it. I still can't believe a 1.7 diesel that's up to 11 years old can be £30 road tax (2001+ models). They're nippy round town, you can zip around out of people's way at roundabouts etc like a whippet - the power's all there straight away, even if it is 59hp! On the open road it's not gonna pin you to the seat but hey ho, it keeps up with normal traffic and I get about 68mpg every time I check on filling up. And yes it can frequent the fast lane like anyone else without embarrassment. And because it's a 1700 it doesn't scream it nuts off at high speed, like Hazy said.

A remap on the SDI will only gain about 10hp and 25nm torque, they're obviously limited in what they can give. But I might invest in a remap because I love the car and economy but just want a tiny bit more torque for the hillclimbing parts of my commute I have to do. It's mainly other gits on the road that slow down at the bottom and ruin your momentum, otherwise it pulls up fine. I'll report back if I get it done, it's not a heavy car so I'm sure I'll notice even the slightest difference.

TDI is the way to go if you're into speed though, Jamie! They just tend to fetch more money I found.

Edited by Lupo-dreams

TDI is the way to go if you're into speed though, Jamie! They just tend to fetch more money I found.

Yea it is a bit of speed I'm after tbh, and still fancy diesel, so maybe the tdi is the better option.

As I said, its not for the near future, I just wanted a better perspective on my options :)

yeah, sadly though our lup is the 1999 model which is about £220 a year rod tax (for the same spec as the later model) its all wrong all of them should be £30, when we got ours the guy who sold it advertised it as £30 tax, lying ba****d fuel economy is mint though..

I agree it's not fair, Same engine, same emissions, just a tiny age difference. Definitely worth anyone looking for a TDI or SDI to only get one that's 2001 (Y reg) onwards where they are tax banded according to emisions, not engine size like older cars (top tip Jamie! :thumbsup: )

Just to update anyone that's interested : I got a remap on my SDI yesterday for £150. Took about 20mins, the OBD port is under the ashtray (I wouldn't have known it was tucked there). Now it's 70hp / 140nm torque (previously 60hp/115nm). That's about a 17% increase, not too bad for a n/a diesel. I noticed as soon as I drove out of the garage yard. I tested it out leaving the traffic lights and it was like a rocket, so the extra 10hp is most noticeable at 0-40 ish where it feels very nippy. Going faster on the dual carriageway it was a lot easier to overtake and build speed than before. Apparently it will get even more mpg now so that's a bonus. I think the main thing is it now gives me a lot more confidence driving knowing more oomph is there if I need it which cuts out any frustrating moments. I would recommend it, but I know some say it's not worth the money for a 17% increase, but if you like everything else about the car and couldn't afford a TDI like me, then buying an SDI + remap is worth thinking about (I've still spent a few hundred less altogether than if I'd bought one of the TDIs Lupos/Arosas I was looking at when I bought the SDI). The stats once remapped make it just 5 less hp than a standard 1.4 TDI Lupo and the same torque as the standard 1.2 TDI Lupo 3L so it really is quite acceptable power now for a small car that can easily manage 70mpg. :thumbsup:

there was a famous american whose name i cant remember (might have been carrol shelby) said once "speed costs son, how fast can you afford to go?" very true. its a matter of whether youre happy with the cost, if you are then great

i considered the remap for sophie's car ,not yet though, but i've also got turbos which i can put on, yes i know its not a straightforward job but i know this engine well. there is always the option of dropping one of the better golf engines in.

or i could just leave it alone!!

the remap doesnt kick out smoke when you boot it away does it? a lot of these remaps are just overfuelling which is not nice geoff

Yeah, that remap sounds nifty, it's never going to be a racer, but that extra bit pull -even just for hills, the SDI's nemesis! and for overtaking -and not having to rely a bit too much on momentum would be worthwhile. Will like to to know the resultant MPG figures, as I was a wary about a N/A engine being remapped and losing MPG because of the extra fuel supposedly being used. Something that is usually negated with a Turbo assisted engine, with the Turbo doing the leg work. But if the remap does give that bit more torque and increases the MPG, then it's win win.

Pretty good now if it has the same torque output as the 3L mind.

Don't get me wrong I'm driving it the same as I was before on my commute, to get the best mpg. It's just nicer not losing speed on the big hills (or certainly not as much) and being able to change up the gears that bit sooner etc. And I can overtake the Sunday drivers without hesitating or having a 'gulp' moment now.

I got it done at UK Chip-Tuning in York. The price all the places I've looked at list any remap like this is £200 (including the place I got it done) but I think the guy took pity on me getting a mere 10hp gain and only charged £150 ha ha. Considering it only takes them 20mins with the laptop it's still easy money for them no matter how much they discount I suppose! I don't get any extra smoke that I have noticed (I booted it up a hill to make sure and couldn't even see any). I refilled the tank/reset my trip meter just after I left the remap place so my new mpg results will be in next week. The guy did make a point of saying it should be a bit better on fuel so we'll see.

I must admit I wouldn't have done it if I had a pre 2001 car like you guys who have to fork out an extra £190 a year on road tax (sorry, I know it's not a fair system). Or if I only drove it around a town/city/outskirts type driving where they're pretty nippy cars anyway. But my commute's on open country roads in top gear, mostly 60 limit, with some long hills that got the better of the car at times (no opportunity to get a run up on some). So I think 'cos I'm planning to keep the car a long time it's worth it to me to make it that bit better for the sort of mileage I do / the sort of roads I use / the hefty amount of time I spend in the car.

Edited by Lupo-dreams

that extra £190 does pay for itself after a while, and Living in Wales i also very often drive down road like you described!

this will be considered more on the basis of fuel economy which is very important for me.

On the subject of the remap, have you had the intake restrictiors out? I haven't gotten around to that, but I wonder if that would improve the remap potential or not. That coupled with a decent Air Filter (like my K&N) and possibly a stainless steel straight through exhaust, I wonder how far you could push it to near the stock TDI hp/torque, it would certainly take it past the 3L.

I'm certainly thinking about it now since you've had the remap, and if it does improve the MPG (which would be the main reason for me), then it would pay for itself pretty quickly to be honest. I can't see me ever selling my Lupo (unless I do happen upon a Fantasia TDI) anytime soon, especially as i'm in the £30 tax bracket. And it would tide me over until I get up the gumption to turbo the SDI/drop a pd130/150 in.

I took the intake restrictors out a while ago, yes (thanks to the how-to post). Well worth doing as you can guarantee they are full of gunge and living up to their name (mine were). It should feel more sprightly just after doing that you'll probably find! My air filter is standard (but recently renewed) and my exhaust is standard (maybe when it pegs it I'll get a stainless one). But yeah, no doubt if you K&N'd it and de-catted the exhaust etc, it would be better still.

The Lupo with PD 130/150 in would be insane! It could be remapped to over 160hp/180hp if you wanted! Serious stuff in a small car, it would be so awesome :twisted: .

Edited by Lupo-dreams

Yeah, that's the ideal thing. Not in a rush at the moment as the other car I have available to drive is a MK4 GTTDI, but it would be nice!

And yes, I think my restrictors would be a bit full of gunk now, they had a clean when I first got him (that and the air intake box was full of crap too), but 30k on no doubt they're up to the eyes again. But good to know it helps towards the remap.

Any preliminary results on MPG yet?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe early next week I'll be filling up the tank and can tot up the mpg (not at work this week so not using the car much, sorry). What k&n filter did you get, Hazy? Is it just a straight replacement one that sits in the original airbox?

No problem. Yeah, K&N is just a straight replacement, but it's washable and renewable (usually re-oil it every six months) so it should last a while, but at any rate loads better than the standard. Haven't seen any others available especially for the Lupo, but there's a few induction cones/kits knocking about for the polo/golf 1.9SDI that would probably be a straight fit i would think -most seem to share the same intakes.