Fuel Filling, 260 mpg(!?), tank size and other fuel related questions

I have had my Lupo for a year and a half now. I have had some weird issues with fuel.

Here is the scenario...

I am in Telford preparing for a drive to Hertfordshire. I brim my tank from about 40% full according to the gauge.

I put in a lot more fuel than I expected to be able to. The total amount was 22.6l. This is far more than I expected to be able to put in my tank.

I drove for 100 miles before the fuel needle moved even slightly off the full marker.

At this present moment in time I have driven 300 miles on this same tank and the needle still shows half a tank left.

I would usually get about 230 miles out of a tank of fuel, how have I got 300?

I needed to keep track of all mileage to get fuel repayments. When I got to Hemel (130 miles) I was only able to put in 2l. Making that journey 260mpg.

How on earth have I managed to get this many miles out of half a tank?

I have had this happen a few times. Always when I fill my tank from the 25-40% full marker.

I hope you understand what I mean and can shed some light on the situation.

Cheers

Dale Collins

When I got to Hemel (130 miles) I was only able to put in 2l. Making that journey 260mpg.

miles x litres does not equal mpg

• Like 1

there's a small 'expansion' tank by the filler neck that will allow extra fuel to be put in. That little black button inside the filler will release the pressure from the tank and allow more fuel in. Not a good idea to brim it if it's going to be a hot day as the petrol will expand, and if your expansion tank is already full, it will pour out of the car, which is a bad thing.

Next time you're filling up, once the pump clicks off use the nozzle to move the black button, you should hear a little hiss.

Normal lupo tank is 34 litres. Most i've ever put in was about 28, without using the expansion.

That's the kind of answer I was looking for, thanks :)

So why does it exist? Is there any actual technical documents about it anywhere because I can't find any.

It exists so that went you have a full tank (not including the expansion tank) and its a hot day the extra fumes from the expanding fuel have a place to go! Hope this helps :)

It exists so that went you have a full tank (not including the expansion tank) and its a hot day the extra fumes from the expanding fuel have a place to go! Hope this helps :)

Exactly this. A few years back a friend of mine in Ipswich had a fiesta. He'd parked it on a hill, nose up, after filling it (going on a long trip the next evening). Mid afternoon he looked out and saw a couple of fire engines, seemingly looking at his car. Turns out the sun was hot enough that the fuel in his tank was pouring out of the filler cap and down onto the road, due to expansion. Someone had seen it and called it in.

Thanks for the replies. So how big is the relief tank then? My fuel light has just come on at 370 miles. I would usually get 220. Where have those miles come from? I can't seem to make any sense of it!