3L Front

Hazy

I'm sure there used to be a thread with the answer to this, but I can't find it now, but here goes: Apart from the obvious with the relocated indicators, does the 3L grill fit the standard grill space? ETKA and ELSAWin don't really give out dimensions, and from the odd time looking at 3Ls/Lupos with the 3L front (mainly drooling over Mitch's awesome car), I can't really gauge it.

I can guess it's not a straight fit seeing as the standard grill curves towards the bottom and the 3L doesn't. But can anything be done to make it fit -and does it go with the standard housing fixes? Just wondering as I recently missed out on a 3L front, and although that would be the better option, I've never really seen a halfway point between the two -ie. the grill in place of the standard. But if it's a no goer, i take it that's because of incompatibility between the two. Never really seen any other aftermarket ones that address the issue either.

Edited by Hazy

I have 3L front ready to go on when i get around to addressing my paint.

Only the two top screw fixings are the same, the rest is a complete no go. The height is completely different and so is the length without even starting on how you would fix the lower part to the normal standard bumper.

Without the 3L bumper it's not worth even thinking about.

If you want the 3L grill then you really need the bumper as well, then you have to think whether you modify the bumper to fit the standard wings (The route ive taken) or go the whole way and fit the 3L wings and fabricated the new sills.

As it will be while a before I get around to fitting the 3L front, in the mean time I got hold of a VW Votex front grill which fits the standard bumper - not quite the look of a 3L, but gives it a own unique look, like a miniature GTI grill.

I was sort of expecting that, thanks for the detailed response though.

Had i gotten the 3L bumper (it was in my colour too! sob.) i would've gone down the modifying of the bumper route no doubt, seems a lot of work to fit the 3L wings -even more than actually sourcing them! -when cutting the excess off the bumper and then repairing the paintwork seems the simpler route that rewards a great result.

the Votex grills are nice too, although they're pretty hard to come by too! Wonder if I can take a standard grill and modify it to look something like a 3L/Polo blue motion look. Or just wait it out for another 3L bumper to turn up...

Cheers.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Genuine rrp prices currently for 3l bumper parts are as follows

6E0807217F GRU - upper bumper - £106.09 - I got the last one in the uk, so that's a special order

6E0805903C B41 - lower bumper black plastic - £54.01 – special order from germany

6E0 853 665/666 C - b41 - left or right fog light trim - £8.66

6E0 953 155/156 B - left or right indicator - £25.38

6E0 853 653 GRU - No exact price but about £50 from memory. I paid £31 for mine from ebay.

The one for sale recently was more expensive than VW retail prices.

• 6 months later...

I have 3L front ready to go on when i get around to addressing my paint.

Only the two top screw fixings are the same, the rest is a complete no go. The height is completely different and so is the length without even starting on how you would fix the lower part to the normal standard bumper.

Without the 3L bumper it's not worth even thinking about.

If you want the 3L grill then you really need the bumper as well, then you have to think whether you modify the bumper to fit the standard wings (The route ive taken) or go the whole way and fit the 3L wings and fabricated the new sills.

As it will be while a before I get around to fitting the 3L front, in the mean time I got hold of a VW Votex front grill which fits the standard bumper - not quite the look of a 3L, but gives it a own unique look, like a miniature GTI grill.

Bit of an old thread, but did you ever get round to doing this? I want to save myself buying 3l wings, I have the grill, cheers

Nope, was thinking of doing this month as i didnt want to fit them until i could afford a full respray, but my other ride relieved me of all funds for quite a while so not sure when I'll get around to it yet.

I'll update my members car thread when I get around to though.

http://forums.clublupo.co.uk/index.php?/topic/88618-rs6plusmtms-red-lupo-tdi-sport/

My 3L bumper was already modded to fit normal wings when I got off ebay.

Think it was own by a old member on here quite a while ago and changed hands a couple of times before coming in to my possession

All my "to get around to fitting parts" are stored at my old mans farm, I'm down there tomorrow, if ill remember ill take to photos of the mod made to the wing corners to make them fit

You'll still need the front bumper, not just the grill though for a 3L

Doing the 3L wings is even a bigger job as they don't fit the sills on a Standard Lupo, as you need to fabricate the panels for them to match up correctly

Edited by RS6plusMTM

Here is what needs to be done just to do the 3L bumper mod for the inner upper corners of the bumper so they match standard wings - excuse the bodge, its not my handy work.

Looks like the inner edge was stretched to form the angle, while the outer edge was cut to match the wing leaving a small hole.

It will be fine on smoothed & painted (you can't see any signs of the mod once fitted to the car).

post-17491-0-98829700-1364805545_thumb.j

post-17491-0-06765300-1364805559_thumb.j

post-17491-0-16619100-1364805582_thumb.j

• 3 weeks later...

Genuine rrp prices currently for 3l bumper parts are as follows

6E0807217F GRU - upper bumper - £106.09 - I got the last one in the uk, so that's a special order

6E0805903C B41 - lower bumper black plastic - £54.01 – special order from germany

6E0 853 665/666 C - b41 - left or right fog light trim - £8.66

6E0 953 155/156 B - left or right indicator - £25.38

6E0 853 653 GRU - No exact price but about £50 from memory. I paid £31 for mine from ebay.

The one for sale recently was more expensive than VW retail prices.

I can vouch for this, if you want to buy the parts from VW. I had already sourced the upper bumper (in factory primer), grill and the indicators from LupoBoi above (cheers again), so I just needed the lower splitter and the fog covers. Popped into my local VW parts (Garry at Scotswood Road is a star), and had them ordered in a jiffy. Most of the parts are on back order, but should only take a week to come through.

The prices have gone up a few pence, but they are more or less the same. And considering what most sellers are charging on the german eBay, it's cheaper to get the parts new from VW, and you know they'll be in a decent condition. Unless you hit on a decent set that's in your colour. Anybody need a black front?

Edited by Hazy

• 2 weeks later...

Garry has had to source many obscure parts for me and Mitch so thats why he is up on it :yes:

I've had 3 different 3L fronts on mine and I wasn't really happy until I got all the correct parts for it. I think doing it with all the new parts cost in excess of £1,000. Thats not including the labour for Mitch making my sill sections and welding them in or having the parts painted. Personally I wasn't happy until I had it done that way but it depends how much of a perfectionist you are. The wings are the most expensive part at £250 each.

I'm gonna go down the bumper modifying route rather than go the whole hog with the wings -i've seen examples of people making the standard wings fit ie. rounding the corners etc, but that seems a bit laborious.

Apart from the obvious with the wing fitment, is there any other bits and bobs needed underneath? Can remember somebody mentioning Bumper Guides?

Yeah, I sort of noticed that was a tight squeeze when I did a test fit the other weekend, shame my car isn't a TDI like yours, as most relative parts are shared with the 3L.

• 2 weeks later...

you can get the angled indicator housings from another vw to clear the std slam panel