Lupo GTi sump removal

Trying to get the sump and head off the loop so I can replace the piston rings but I can't get the sump off!

I've loosened the two 16mm bolts at the gearbox housing and all the 5mm Allen head bolts around the lip of the sump. It just refuses to drop off!!! There is a little movement but it's stubborn as hell. Looks like there has been liquid gasket used in the past. Would that cause it to not want to move?

I just don't want to try and persuade it off incase I've missed anything.

Any help welcome and thanks in advance.

Is there two sneaky allen head bolts right up next to the flywheel??

Ive only done sump removal on a tdi which is obviously a different engine but just putting it out there incase.

I think I got them Scotty but I'll double check when the torrential rain stops. It could just be the liquid gasket has a good hold of it but I'd rather be 100% about sufficient bolt removal before I try to persuade it off.

Oh, THOSE two hidden little Allen head bolts. They are not impossible to get to at all. Long ball-ended 5mm Allen key to the rescue hopefully. Are these prone to rounding easily? If they are, what are my options if they do? Cheers matey.

Of you crank the engine over with a socket the flywheel should have a notch that allows a long t handle Allen driver to get on to them

Of you crank the engine over with a socket the flywheel should have a notch that allows a long t handle Allen driver to get on to them, I'm also gay.

Not on a GTI Scotty, only the TDI.

Use a ball ended allen key on a ratchet if possible and you should be fine.

Now, do I point out the obvious or do I just stay quiet?

Haven't actually got the bits yet but will most likely get it all through Halfords (via DINGBRO) who I've got bits off in the past. Going to replace the water pump, timing belt/tensioner and spark plugs too. Anything lest I should consider since it's in bits?

I'm doing mine to a very small budget, doing rings, big end bearing shells for the internal, then the rest is just gaskets, bolts and service parts, belts and gaskets etc.

This is first time i've done this so probably not the best for info

Try Lupoboz on here in the 'genuine traders' Section he does great prices. Would imagine save a fortune over halfords!

i normally use euro car parts, youll find them on the interweb and theyre cheap. the prices are usually a guide theyre normally cheaper when you phone them. i would probably give the bores a light hone too just dont get carried away, good luck and plenty clean engine oil when you put it back together. geoff

Can I ask a silly question? Is the stretch bolt at the aux pulley on the block a normal or a reverse thread? I can NOT get the bugger to move. It's the only thing holding me back at the mo and it's really infuriating! Any pointers?

Cheers,

Graeme

Sport engines are normal direction, just hella tight. get MORE leverage :) Also does anyone know if the rings have a run-in procedure?

PS @ Sophie if you bought your lupo from consett... FU we wanted it!

Edited by Owen33
  • Like 1

Cheers Owen. Just wanted to clear that up before I began to tighten it even more. More leverage??? It can't be that tight can it? I've got a mate in the car with it in gear, foot on the brake and me underneath with a 16 or 18 inch breaker bar. I'm going to end up giving myself a hernia lol. I'll see if I can get a hold of a longer bar. Cheers matey.

no, if it makes you feel better owen we had to go to bloody wigan to get ours but it was worth it

• 4 weeks later...

Quick update folks. After a stubborn crank bolt delayed me by 2 weeks (I know, I know) the head is now off and the pistons out. Going to replace the water pump whilst it's all in bits but not too sure how to get it off. Anyways. Ordering all the bits I need this week so if all goes well, should have her back in the road in a couple of weeks :D

i've done nearly 1500 miles on my rebuild all is fine. altough i had to get some k seal from euro car parts. An additive to the coolant system as it was steaming from exhaust... HeadGasket ? put it through ran it to opperating temperature and it was cured :)

i'm told i should have had the head skimmed? might be something for you to consider !

• 6 months later...