AIRBAG LIGHT STAYING ON-HELP!!

veedub83

hi all

The airbag light is on constant on my 2000 lupo-the guy i bought it off was a crafty devil and covered the airbag light with a vw keyfob badge-new MOT legislation means they have to see the airbag light coming on and going off at start up to pass. Can any of the cheap vagcom systems available through ebay switch the light off? Hope you can help!!

Thanks

hi all

The airbag light is on constant on my 2000 lupo-the guy i bought it off was a crafty devil and covered the airbag light with a vw keyfob badge-new MOT legislation means they have to see the airbag light coming on and going off at start up to pass. Can any of the cheap vagcom systems available through ebay switch the light off? Hope you can help!!

Thanks

are you using the standard steering wheel?

Edited by JensonLEi

Yes mate, standard steering wheel-like i say it was like this when i got the car-I removed the vw badge which was concealing the light to reveal a light which is permanently on. Im thinking it will be a costly fix....

yes the ebay vag com leads will turn the light off, but its only on because it has a fault so unless you fix the fault it will come straight back on, common fault is the clock spring behind the steering wheel, if you can take a steering wheel off you can change the spring, lupo ones are expensive but mk3 golf ones fit and are cheaper :thumbsup: . whatever you will need vagcom to turn the light off after anyway. buy the lead, find what the fault is then fix it, easy

I have a similar problem ad don't feel any of the previous comments have helped in the slightest apart from electric racers, other than the spring i've heard a dirty connector under the seat is a common fault? or something along those lines.

the connectors under the seats only apply if the seats have side airbags, lupos dont, it would be impossible to fix the fault without a code reader, as its an airbag fault its stored until you clear it from the memory even if the fault is fixed, so get a lead load the program onto a laptop and read the fault, the lupos a simple system only 2 airbags, its usually the clock spring

• 1 year later...

Bump on this.

I was fiddling under the seat in my GTI because the driver's seat won't heat up and since then the airbag light is on. Do the Lupo GTIs with leather have side seat airbags?

Also, can you reset via OBD or does it have to be VAG-COM? I've got an OBD bluetooth thing that I work with my phone.

if the seats have airbags there will be a label on the side of the seat saying "airbag" ,

it could possibly be seat belt tensioners, are there any yellow plugs under the seat? (airbag ones are yellow)

im pretty sure that it has to be vagcom or one of the various diagnostic systems snap on, bosch etc a generic OBD reader wont do it it will only read engine fault codes