1.4 S vs 1.4 Sport

LupoHarry

Considering all my options with what Lupo to go for, and was wondering what are ALL the differences between these two models.... any help would be much appreciated? :thumbup:

Regards, Harry.

Without going into the engine differences that make up the above mentioned power increase, you get a centre exit exhaust & front fog lights on a sport, and the suspension's a bit stiffer. Oh and a couple of 16v badges :lol:

my 51 plate sport in soft blue. will be up for sale in around a month.

bad points: mileage is 136k (and counting)

the indicator panel and one of the foglights has a crack to the plastic. foglight works fine,.

the passenger side rear panel has some paint strip where i removed the rubstrips, although i intend on fitting a new set of strips over the next month.

good points

car will be fully serviced by myself and will keep reciepts of items to prove this, was last done at 130k and has a full service history.

cambelt has been changed twice over it's lifetime along with water pump, etc. have reciepts to prove this. (it's around 60k and 116 i think)

car is completely standard, have even sourced original sport wheels for the sale.

tax till the end of november, mot until next may/june i think.

looking for around £1000 ono

different inlet cam, metal inlet manifold, ecu, bigger throttle body. bigger brakes, exhaust manifold and different gear ratios and most importantly the insurance difference :twisted:

thank you for giving an answer that doesn't make us sport owners look like we wasted money on fog lights, and 16v badges that we don't even keep!

• Like 2

Sport owners average around 25-30mpg for everyday driving which drains the tank pretty quick, the normal 1.4 does much better. Also the sport gearbox ratios are too short and it sits at high revs at motorway speed. Best to test drive both and weigh up spec differrences. The 25bhp differrence is only really notable right at the top of the revs as the sport goes 1000 revs higher. Also the sports have fly by wire throttles which make them a bit smoother when u hit a bump where the cable throttle on the normal 1.4 makes the car judder a bit.

I love my sport and dont plan to change it soon, but personally im advising my younger brother (whos looking for a lupo) to either save and spend time searching for a tdi lupo to remap or just get a normal 1.4 as I really dont believe the 25bhp, bad fuel economy, short ratio gearbox and extra insurance is really worth it...

my decisions to buy a sport was purely based on the fact i wanted a gti but could afford the insurance so settled for the next best thing, tbh mate if your not bothered about the extra 25bhp and the little cosmetic differences i wouldnt bother with a sport as bep51 said there bad on fuel and sit at high revs on motorway :angry2: and about 500 quid extra (for me) to insure against a 1.4s, still love my sport though even if it trys to make me hate it !

thank you for giving an answer that doesn't make us sport owners look like we wasted money on fog lights, and 16v badges that we don't even keep!

your welcome ! :thumbup:

1.4s Front Discs size 239mm vs SPORT 256mm

1.4s Rear Brakes DRUMS vs SPORT 232mm Rear Discs NOT DRUMS

SPORT center exhaust with space saver tyre factory fitted smaller tyre well in the boot to fit the centre exhaust :( VS 1.4s full size spare tyre and full size tyre well NO center exhaust without modifications :(

Edited by audiocandy

Long term average is in my sig below. If I do longer trips involving Mway driving, i can get over 40mpg easily, and that's not driving economically. That said, if you are doing a lot of motorway work, sport probably isn't the best one to go for tbh, it really could do with a longer final drive.