GTI engine undertray/skid tray

I thought @mscherryviolet might amuse us with the sun tanning undershield comment innuendo, but maybe too subtle. @Rich is right, it will soften up the plastic nicely.

Ok, cool. There's some other bits you're banking for me too, but can't remember what.

I was under my mk4 yesterday. If mr MOT inspector does a proper inspection in a couple of months it's break her up and scrap heap time. I couldn't be bothered to chop out two complete sills, reweld, grind, prime, shutz and repaint. I only noticed because the paint was beginning to pucker just at the front of the rear arches. Took rear plastic arch liners out and er, didn't look healthy at all. Gently pressed all along the shutz layer along the sills, and it felt very slightly crunchy and soft. Daren't press to hard, as the shutz layer is holding it all together, else there'd be a huge 4ft long hole...

All this hidden mk4 suffering got me thinking- what are the hot rust spots on our Lupos? I know about the dirt trap just behind the plastic shield at the front- but no rust on my Lupos so far there. Coil springs (repowdercoated already). Front sub frame (scraped and waxoyled) mainly LHS rusts (engine heat dries the right side), wishbones (waxoyled), rear suspension beam- especially front pivot and spring base (all scraped and waxoyled). Rear wheel arch edges (all ground, primed, shutzed and resprayed). Where have I missed? Do the sills/doors/bonnet go?

1 hour ago, Rich said:

Sills, under wing sills.

Arches.

Roof

Floorpan inside.

Sills. Please please,  not like a mk4... I'll have to pull the bungs out and have a look. Jet wash? Allow to dry / hairdryer then pump full of wax??? Whats the best method?

sills under wings....? Wings off I suspect? Jet wash, scrape then coat with wax?

Ok, so liners out for front arches (and back arches I guess-mine are already fixed). Easy-ish job.

Roof- under strips I'm guessing? I already coat with waxoyl then press the strips back in once hardened- also locks the strips in nice and tight.

Floorpan. Now that is scary... where abouts?

All these jobs- Something to do over summer...

I should start a new thread. Sorry for the hijack. Although it is a "HOLY thread resurrection!"

I've seen a whole half a floorpan going.

Around the bungs and spreading, like a MK2.

Probably ingress over the years.

Sills though, especially under the wings...

49 minutes ago, danno said:

Behind the arch liners? They get full of crap.

Frank, was it a cup holder? Can’t remember if there was anything else.

Yeah, and SDI springs... other stuff too when I remember. I need to go to S369QJ at some point soon. Anywhere near you?

That’s right, that’s a 2 hour drive for us, I do need to drive to Preston to pick up a towbar which is also 2 hours away from me and 2 hours away from s369qj. When are you planning this journey?

Dunno TBH. Too busy at the mo. Maybe in about two/three weeks.

I don't really like the idea of driving a 6h round day trip to S369QJ, then adding another 4h return journey to it. This may require a bit more planning...! :)

31 minutes ago, danno said:

It’s easier being a pussy.

Frank we’ll figure something out so we can make it easy-ish for everyone. Coming to VWFest?

Stop inviting people or you're camping alone...

9 hours ago, Rich said:

I did Essex and back for wheels.

Pussy.

Were they teddies? For most stuff, I just use a pallet company. Works out cheaper than the petrol costs too. Durham to Essex and back is a hell of a long drive. I think I'd be in Austria or south of France before you arrived back home...

The question though really should be... can I make more money staying at home/work doing my thing and pay someone else to move/collect what I need? Unless it's for the pure pleasure of a long cruise.... (in a lupo on the UK road network... er, No). Yes I'm not a dog.

Just got back from my gearbox chap- thought I'd do a refurb of the silver SDI box. Given up trying to find a different/longer fifth gear set. But OMG. In the nick of time. I have pics. Lots of scary pics. Bearings 'almost' gone. That close to going bang. No problems or symptoms at all, just thought that it's probably time for refurb. 

Might do Fest. Long way though. I need to google the info...

Edited by mk2