Cheap way to lower your car

BrianBass

I'm looking at lowering my loop but don't wanna spend loads on doing it as am on a tight budget. I've found some springs on eBay for around 80 quid n was wondering what the pros n cons were of using springs to lower n if anyone could tell me how to do it myself :-)

Cheers guys.

just cut your springs, even cheaper ;)

Ye I had heard that you could do that but didn't wanna try it just in case I screw it up lol but thanks for the suggestion dude :)

MOT fail though, just be careful :) and dont do too low or you're just riding on shocks and believe me its so uncomfortable

bricks are always a good choice! fill it with them!

put a horse in the back?

ultra reverse rake ;)

springs aren't really worth having especially for £80 .. bought my coilover for £70 second hand about 4 month ago and no leaks or problems yet... just wait out for a set of second hand coilies :)

you can buy lowering springs for £30 or £40 and just put them on your standard shocks, otherwise used coilovers can be picked up for £100 ish. Dont cut your standard springs. thats just stupid. they'll be soft and bouncy and unsafe.

Sorry.

What drop are the springs?

You can fit -60mm springs on standard shocks. Not the best combination for handling and manufacturers of shortened springs will recommend shorter shocks if you are lowering by more than 30mm.

However many people have run -60mm springs on standard shocks and have had no issues. You will find your shock "bottoming" out and the life of the shock will be shortened.

If they are less than 60mm drop, then there will be no issues. I ran -45mm on standard shocks on my Arosa and it was fine.

So I say go for the springs and save for shorter shocks.

Of course the most expensive part of this mod is likely to be the insurance premium when you declare.

Lets be serious lads, cutting springs is just dangerous, letting the tyres down isnt that bad though and gets you seriously low.

• Like 2