drum brakes and stupid broken wheelbolts

crap.

Broke a wheelbolt, and tried to drill it out with a pigscock(no idea what you call it in England, but thats what its named in Norway :P ).

Basicly, its an inverted drill. But it still turned the correct way and went into the drum brake.

Someone has tried to play with the brake before, as the screw holding the drum cover in place is kinda broken. No screw driver can get any grip.

If I drill this screw out, will I break the brake? Do I actually need to have the screw there? Or maybe I can use a bigger one?

I'm driving from Oslo to Bodø(1260km) tomorrow, and the brake is making so much noice with the broken bolt inside of it. So, hope I manage to fix this today :P

Got the screw out ok :)

But the drum is still stuck on. It turns nicely, so the the shoes aren't locked up right? Or should I still find a wedge/lever inside of one of the holes to free the shoes up?

I read something about that in a different thread, but can't understand which part they are talking about :P Don't think they have been changed since 1999... hehe

Any tips or pointers for me? Pulling my hair here. If it's not fixed tonight, I can wave goodbye to my hollyday :/

You don't need to take the hub nut off.

The hole on the rear of the drum is used to push the shoes back, it's at a really stupid angle too so you'll need to be patient when trying to push them back.

Once the shoes are pushed back you should be able to free the drum just by hitting it a lot with a hammer (presuming that you've already removed/drilled out the retaining screw).

Freed it, but the brakes are making scraping noises, and there is a point where something meets and it sort of brakes it self.

Gave up, after trying everything I could think of.. So now it's at a garage :P