Courtesy light staying on

HI,

I recently got locked out of my mk2 Arosa...

The AA man didn't have an airbag ("someone had taken out his van") so started fishing around in the door with a slim jim.

All he achieved was to knock the cable off the outside door handle and somehow turn my courtesy light on.

Eventually got into the car by crowbarring the top of the door and rodding the interior handle (nice...)

I have reattached the cable on the door handle (anyone who has done this knows what a biatch of a job it is) and I have straightened my door best I can (with brute strength... grab top of door and apply knee to middle of door)

Anyway...

So the courtesy light still stays on all the time, with the light in the "door open" position, even with the door shut.

As the only access to the inside of the door is a childs hand size hole, I thought I would see if I can get any help on here before I go delving in the door again.

Cheers

• 1 month later...

Bump, I've just refitted my interior light after having the headliner out for a while & now the light stays on permanently in every position, I've had to unplug it. I've had the light in bits to retrim it but I can't see why it isn't working now I've put it back together. I took it apart again for some testing & the light stays off until I push the clear plastic bit in, at which point it seems to be contacting permanently. Any ideas?

Think its just trial and error mate, mine went a little dodgy and i stripped it down worked out how it all works and made sure the right things were touch at the right point :)

• Like 1

Its a really simple design, totally based on copper contacts touching. You have your on and off which are a manual connections that are made when you push the light in. The middle position however is a little more complex and it essentially connects the light to a different circuit controlled by the door microswitch. Also, weirdly, if the keys are out of the ignition, keep yours doors closed and you turn your headlights on, the buzzer will not sound. But if you then turn on your interior light (doors still closed) the buzzer sounds so the circuit for that must run off the light itself. You probably knew most of that anyway but hey ho...

Edited by joeadamou

That would be legendary mate :D

Edited by Koop

Mine seemed to have the same issue, but it just started to do like that, nothing done to either doors or the light, it just started to stay on even with the doors closed, but im able to turn it off by putting it into off "mode", so im curious too how to do this

Might be worth cleaning the contacts. My boot has a similar courtesy light thing, and it didn't work for a long time and it used to make me worry that the boot wasn't closing properly. Turns out the contacts had all gunked up in the spring switch. Removed it, cleaned it, worked a treat.