How many lessons with an instructor did you all have? 20

Did you drive a parents car aswell? No

How long did it take you to pass? 3 months from turing 17

How many attempts? 1

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn, that's a shame. I really enjoyed my time, would do it over if I could.

ive had relatives, friends in, and so is my girlfriend she's going in the raf as an engineering officer, she's at dsfc funded by the raf and same for her uni

and id love to be in :/ i had to rethink what i wanted to do with my life when they said i cant join up

Edited by patroddy

1 week course

Passed first time

Paid for by your Gran, Grandad, Mum and Dad. Thank you tax payer.

Quite a few colleagues are ex-forces.

Their driving skills leave a lot to be desired - easy to pass when you take the test on an airfield!

Their driving skills leave a lot to be desired - easy to pass when you take the test on an airfield!

ha i wish i could have my test on an airfield, and defon are you a five-0?

I had 9 lessons

Drove my car with my mum occasionally

Passed in a month and a half

Passed first time

Who said women can't drive? :lol:

well im now going to try and beat this :P ive got 10 lessons booked this week :P and driving my mums car

I agree, but luckily I wasn't in the Army, so I learnt on the roads. After my initial course I then spent 2 weeks doing off road, driving with trailers, tactical driving, amphibious landings etc. etc.

Then when I left I sat my HGV2 and then an advanced driving course in a fire tender.

All good fun!

How many lessons with an instructor did you all have? 40 ish

Did you drive a parents car aswell? No

How long did it take you to pass? 11 months

How many attempts? 4

I started in July 2010

about November time I booked a test - Cancelled due to weather

Booked for December - same story

Jan - same story

Feb - First test Failed.

March - Same examiner & Failed.

April - Failed with NO MINORS. :ermm:

June - Passed with 3 minors.

the 40 lessons were because obviously with the tests getting cancelled and not owning a car i was not getting practise.

and with the 3 months of bad weather tests were Backtracked and it meant a longer wait between tests.

The 3rd time a failed was for a BS reason. there was no way I could have helped it.

Oh well. Im just Happy to have my Licence, after the Episode and money to go and earn it, its safe to say I Respect my licence very much and drive responsibly.

and it is All down to luck. each test I failed was on little things that were down to being nervous.

Edited by James827

Great start, got to the test center today for my theory, signed in said; Patrick Roddy - CAR - DSA .... then went to do the test and the guy told me it was down to do a motorcycle test ... well £31 wasted as ive now got to book again

I think the way driving lessons work is flawed. The instructors can keep you on as long as they like and milk more money off you, mine said he wanted me to be well above test level so that I'd definitely pass. And they want to keep their pass rate high, regardless of how long it takes. I had 30-odd lessons i think, and passed second time 5 months after starting. Didn't drive another car. And there was a 3 month waiting list for practical tests then!

Motorbike lessons are much better, you generally pay them a one-off sum and they'll teach you until you pass. The quicker you pass, the less work they have to do. I paid about £300 but passed within a week and a few lessons.

I think the way driving lessons work is flawed. The instructors can keep you on as long as they like and milk more money off you, mine said he wanted me to be well above test level so that I'd definitely pass. And they want to keep their pass rate high, regardless of how long it takes. I had 30-odd lessons i think, and passed second time 5 months after starting. Didn't drive another car. And there was a 3 month waiting list for practical tests then!

Motorbike lessons are much better, you generally pay them a one-off sum and they'll teach you until you pass. The quicker you pass, the less work they have to do. I paid about £300 but passed within a week and a few lessons.

A couple of my friends have been caught out by this, one friend was having a two hour lesson a week for just under 3 months... the guy was just rinsing her for money, she went with another instructor who told her to book up and take test, suprise suprise she passed no worries!

Surely they will refund you though?

The DSA are even worse than the DVLA, and they take some beating!

Surely they will refund you though?

The DSA are even worse than the DVLA, and they take some beating!

they alwasy have something to cover them they sent me 2 emails saying car, then i got a confirmation letter a few days back saying bike, didnt notice it at the time ... and i just checked the time and place then never thought anything about it ... so inevitably its my fault for not reading the letter 100%

Edited by patroddy

I had 12 lessons, took my test after 9 and failed at the 1st attempt.. I re-booked my test immediately and had another 2 lessons before having my second test, fortunately passed 2nd time.. Didn't have access to my parents car so i was quite happy with that, my brother managed to pass in just six lessons tho.. Like Phil said i think a major factor is who your instructor is, mine was happy to get me passed as quickly as possible as he had more work than the could take on.

Mike

I had 12 lessons, took my test after 9 and failed at the 1st attempt.. I re-booked my test immediately and had another 2 lessons before having my second test, fortunately passed 2nd time.. Didn't have access to my parents car so i was quite happy with that, my brother managed to pass in just six lessons tho.. Like Phil said i think a major factor is who your instructor is, mine was happy to get me passed as quickly as possible as he had more work than the could take on.

Mike

my instructors good, he bends over backwards for me, he works around my shifts at work, nd wont piss me around cos he's a mates dad :P

i had about 10 lessons including the 4 for my test, passed on second time.

So technically had 6 lessons passed 2nd time after 2 months. Being driving as long as i can remember. Failed for a stupid reason the first time.

How many lessons with an instructor did you all have? Too Many

Did you drive a parents car aswell? No - tell a lie, i drove a couple of 4*4's off road

How long did it take you to pass? 18 months - due to not having regular lessons for some weeks due to i was a skint student (this was 1st year though) because the test centre is a 2hr drive away (something to consider if you are far away from the centre)

How many attempts?

Theroy - 1

Partical - 1 - did not go above 30 during the whole test!!!!!!!!!!!! and only did 2 manovures

Another thing to be warey of is your license, make sure the details are correct. I discovered this at peril.

Edited by lupo1.0se

Another thing to be warey of is your license, make sure the details are correct. I discovered this at peril.

what do you mean?

make sure your details are correct as the dvla sent out quite a few liceses with mistake. My DOB was wrong on mine.

ooooh no mines bang on if my dob was wrong and theyve put me a year older i wont be sending it back .... :P