Any road cyclists on here?

Silver!

Right, I'm getting back into fitness after a layoff and whilst I enjoy running I feel it may put a bit of strain on the old joints.

Back a while ago cough, cough, I was running at a good club level and was regularly hitting times of 1hr 20mins (PB 1.18.22) for the half marathon and 34mins (PB 33.28) for a 10k, with the only two marathons I took part coming in a tad under 3hrs.

Back then I used general circuit training and cycling to augment my running miles. Checking my old running logs I was regularly hitting an average 18mph on the 9 miles rides to work on my Puegot ANC-Halfords race replica.

So I am now looking for a new road bike. I started off with a budget in mind, but it has, as these things do, krept up.

So I am looking at the following bikes:

Giant Defy 3

GT GTR Series 4

Trek 1.2/1.5

Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra

Now the Cannondale is way out of my initial budget, but, well it's acheivable if it's worth the extra dosh.

Really looking for any comparisons opinions between the Giant and the GT really as my local cycle shop has them in stock in my size.

Anyone out there help?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers Joe, I got the impression from just sitting on the CAAD8 it was a nicely balanced bike. Money's not really the issue, but would I get anymore benefit from itover the £599/699 GIANT/GT.

I'm a big Specialized fan. Have 2 XC bikes and a roadie. Can't really help you on the Cannondale but if you are looking at that price bracket Cube were putting out some well spec'd bikes last year when I bought mine.

Looked at the Cubes and they seem pretty well spec'd for the price. No dealers in the vicinity though and I wanted to keep it local.

Can't really justify the £950 for the Cannondale, so I purchased the GT GTR Series 4.

Still a hard decision between that and the Defy3 though.

Cheers,

R

Huw, what pedals are you running on your road bike? I was looking at the at the Shimano PD-R540 SPD-SL, but need to be convinced I'm not going to fall off before I fit them. Flats and clips for a while me thinks.

A pic...

gt-gtr4-2012-zoom.jpg

That looks good, love the colours. I'm actually using Shimano M520 SPD's on my roadie. I have a set on my XC bike so just bought another pair when I bought the roadie so I could use the same shoes etc. The R540's have some great reviews though so you can't go wrong.

I was mentioning the colours and how they are the same as Cannondale in the shop and the guy says that GT, Cann0ndale, Mogoose and some others which I can't remember, are all the same group, so it's no wonder.

Pick it up on Saturday, so lets' hope the rain holds for at least the ride home.

R

I used to use cleats and straps, so these are s'posed to be easier to release. Right?

As you said practice...

Maybe I could lie on my back with the bike in the air and practice clipping and unclipping that way.

:thumbup:

Are the Shimano shoes true to UK sizing? I here cycling shoes can actually be a size off, making a UK9 = Eu 44.

I'm going to try some on for size, but there are so many bettrer deals on the web.

I was liking the reviews of Polaris Ignition.

2 things... why have you not considered Boardman!? they are nicely spec'd and not over priced!!

also, all this talk of cleats and traffic lights... you mean to tell me that you unclip from your pedals at traffic lights? a real cyclist doesnt put a foot down, all about track standing at lights ;)

I dont put a foot down the minute i leave my drive till i get to work :D

because I AM SUPER COOL OBVS

2 things... why have you not considered Boardman!? they are nicely spec'd and not over priced!!

also, all this talk of cleats and traffic lights... you mean to tell me that you unclip from your pedals at traffic lights? a real cyclist doesnt put a foot down, all about track standing at lights ;)

I dont put a foot down the minute i leave my drive till i get to work :D

because I AM SUPER COOL OBVS

Spoke to a Boardman dealr and there had been a few recalls. Nothing to troublesome, just a check, but still a recall I could do with out.

I would also like to point out that I am nearer to my pension than you and haven't ridden a proper bike for years at which time I had cleats and straps. I too never unclipped at traffic lights, but then in the city you have railings to hold onto.

And on my planned routes I'll be lucky (or unlucky) to see a trraffic light, I'm more worried about stopping at pubs and cake shops.

:tongueout:

I am a Trek user myself...........like their bikes a lot

Yes I seen a Trek or 2 and was looking at the 1.2 and 1.5, nice bike, but the asthetics were les pleasing.

One thing I have noticed with cycling stuff is that is very brand orientated. I just want a plain pair of shoes, not wanting to shout brand names around the lanes!

That's the problem with most clothes, I find. Everything has the brand name in huge letters. Feel like a billboard.

I dunno, things these days...

And hopefully, in one day and one hour, I will be able to call myself a road cyclist...

Edited by Philplop