Top mount movment

So I was going about my regular checkups in the engine bay and I noticed some metal filings around the top mounts and noticed a small amount of gap on the one side of each? I googled all about this and some places say its normal but they are a different type of mount so I thought I'd check on here it moves sideways and stuff when I boince it and when I tired to tighten it it wouldn't ( air gunned in when fitted springs ) just wanna check this by you lot to make sure it's all good and I'm not doing too much damage. I'm aware there meant to move a little but this seems a little excessive. I know one top mount is kinda worn and the others much newer so kinda expecting it a bit and I planned to change them over summer when I can afford coilovers.

Cheers,

James

Ps. Excuse grammar and punctuation, not usually this bad.... I hope

Edited by James827

Unfortunately I'm on my iPod (Hense dire grammar and some bits making no sense) I do have some on my iPod a il put them on photo bucket when I get the chance and it's standard shocks with lowering springs

i airgunned it initially then dropped it and the one side popped up (Obviusly not done up enough so when it was down i gave them a blast to make sure they were good n tight.

i tried tonight with a socket allen key and the ol mole grip trick on the socket and it wasent budging.

I HAVE ADJUSTED THE CAMBER since i airgunned them innitially. not sure if this effects it? (Corrected it so its straight)

c3865da3.jpg

Notice how its not quite flat? (i know it looks like the cameras not straight but its actually a little wonky like that. )

and the fillings..

178a970f.jpg

Hmm, the filings suggest there is definately some metal/metal contact, only way to find out is to strip it down really!

Top mounts arent expensive, so may as well just change them.

yes, thats why im a bit worried about it. im just about to split up from college for half term so il keep and eye on it for now (No knocking, banging, strange noises) then when im back il strip it and take a look. Might invest in the Proper tools if the weathers nice, and strip it back whist im off. i also Only just tracked it and i dont fancy doing that again any time soon.

Nope, i have the little caps that go on top, I just removed them for the photo. its not as bad on the other side, but theres a Tiny bit of the dust stuff. Not as metallic mind! il keep an eye on it. though. ive wiped it all off for now so il see how quickly it builds up, which will give me an idea of How much its rubbing.

Just the top mounts mate, get them changed! Easy job

But how come the metal? or is there that much movement that the shock is rubbing against the tower?

Naturally the damage would be more but not that much more . . . . .

As for pretty, they'd be yellow or purple, I can't remember which one.

I have the same problem but on my GTI they dont seem to move but are sat weird since ive lowered it. ive got Fk highsports if that makes any difference, replace the top mounts but still the same i took it as camber being different ? cant find the powerflex top mounts either :(

I have the same problem but on my GTI they dont seem to move but are sat weird since ive lowered it. ive got Fk highsports if that makes any difference, replace the top mounts but still the same i took it as camber being different ? cant find the powerflex top mounts either :(

are you getting the Metal Flakes too? mine are coming back slowly, Haven't driven the car much his week as i haven't needed to but there's a few there now

are you getting the Metal Flakes too? mine are coming back slowly, Haven't driven the car much his week as i haven't needed to but there's a few there now

No mate I haven't really noticed anything, id say the angle on them isnt really a problem but the metal flakes dont sound very good, have you checked the thread on the top of the coilover? there shouldn't be any metal rubbing really

• 2 weeks later...

It might be worth finding some torque figures and making sure it is tight enough, i got mine so tight with a spanner and ratchet allen key it was nearly cutting my hands, but i still got another 1/8th maybe quarter turn with a breaker bar after that.

yer its from the top mounts rubbing when steering. Happened on mine :P there's suppose to be a small gap aswell its on most vw's found it weird at first haha what i did was just undo the to mount jack the car up so the suspension strut rests in a neutral position then lower the jack back down now then tighten the top mount back up when the cars on the floor that way the strut is sitting in the correct place and shoudnt rub any more

How much did you tighten down the top nuts on the struts before fitting the top caps?

Might be worth removing the top caps, re-tightening the strut top nuts then putting the top cap back on and tightening that up too.

It could just be that your entire top mount isn't tight enough