Hunting, coughing, spluttering! Coilpack help?!

So in the space of 2 days my little 1.0 Lupo has gone from a perfect drive to coughing and spluttering and now I can't even pull it on my drive.

I initially thought it was a dodgy cannister purge solenoid, so pulled that off and it drove fine. Then it started hunting and coughing and spluttering again.

Then today I stopped at lights and couldn't pull back off.

The AA came out and after a long discussion we checked all the plugs and HT leads and they seem to be fine. But we agree on it possibly being the Coilpack?

So, after towing me home, I opened her up and got to the coilpack.

My two questions are, do I just pull the leads off the coilpack? I don't want to break anything.

And secondly, underneath the coilpack I found this snapped off 545083_10150821233114998_647409997_9470737_1860156602_n.jpg

what is this?

Please help!

Its not a thermostat, may be a temp sensor though, but they normally go into a plastic adapter, rather than bolt to the engine

Did the AA guy scan the fault codes?

Not familiar with the 1.0 sensor layout so not sure what that is, but could well be the cause of your problems!

You just pull the leads off the pack, may have to prise it off a few mm with a screwdriver first though

Edited by Defcon5

We plugged into the diagnostic port and there was nothing. By the looks of it it's not connected to anything at all, the cars 2001 and it wasn't law to have them till 2002, so maybe it's just a "dummy" port?

And thanks, I wanted to pull them, but I've never had a car where it's not separate coil packs. Wasn't too sure how they attached.