Eaton E45 Supercharger

Rankin93

Is there anyone can tell me abit more about the supercharger? I currently own a lupo gti I'm looking for a bit more power if I must be honest! Had a look at remapping doesn't seem worth the money but then I came across this eaton e45! What gains is there with the supercharger? Modifications such as custom inlet manifold? Anything else? Money isn't a main issue but what do alot of people end up spending?

Thanks Rankin

Personally i would be surprised if the gain in cc would make much of a difference. Especially when you would need new pistons etc, i suppose if you actually went thought with the charger you'd be going for forged parts anyway so getting oversized pistons may not be an issue for you. Before thinking about an overbore a performance exhaust manifold, s-s cat-back system, induction, p&p head (possibly inlet mani too) and a custom map would be required to see decent gains.

Mike

Edited by Thissy

Yeah i had heat issues, the problem with the eaton is sit sits very close to the exhaust. I was using a different set up to others, i was using no recirc and i was spinning it a lot faster - needless to say my way probably wasn't the best for my positioning.

If you use a recirc valve it will manage heat better as it always has airflow going through it. and focus on getting the charger as far away from the exhaust as possible it will last for ages. On the standard pulley you should see about 8psi of boost with no problems. Standard internals will handle that id think.

The rotrex will make a different sound all together, more turbo spooling noise with the sort of chatter as you get from a G60 charger, oh and 19 psi of boost!

Zircotec coating on the supercharger would be pretty difficult to do though, as it's plasma sprayed iirc, the casing of the charger is a crap aluminium alloy so it could distort.

It would help, quite alot, as would doIng it on the manifold.

Tbh if it's run in a recirc fashion, then heat won't be such a problem. You could use a water jacket like I did also.

My friend had his turbo coated at that place, was to keep the heat out of the engine bay I believe......I'm no expert but knew it would keep the heat in.

The main concern with where the charger is placed is heat soak.

The charger on the mini runs at about 80 degrees case temperature, on mine under hard load on the rollers i was seeing close to 120 degrees! bearing in mind the EGT was about 700c.

If you coated the charger it would stop the heat soak to it, which is the killer, i personally don't think it will cause too much of a problem regarding temperature created by it operating as you have a good flow of cooling air passing through it.

John