What Steering Wheel To Fit?

I currently have a small MOMO Team 280 steering wheel fitted, and although it looks 100% Mario Kart, I'm fancying something a bit different. Ideally I want to go to something thats a genuine VW part, but looks a lot more modern than the standard gti wheel as I hate it. I Was wondering if I can fit something from a newer VW like a mk5 or mk6 golf wheel, or maybe something else from about 2006 onwards? Will the airbag fit and plug in ok, and what else would I need to fit it as currently its fitted with the steering wheel fitting boss kit for my MOMO. Thanks, Dan

• 2 weeks later...

I currently have a small MOMO Team 280 steering wheel fitted, and although it looks 100% Mario Kart, I'm fancying something a bit different. Ideally I want to go to something thats a genuine VW part, but looks a lot more modern than the standard gti wheel as I hate it. I Was wondering if I can fit something from a newer VW like a mk5 or mk6 golf wheel, or maybe something else from about 2006 onwards? Will the airbag fit and plug in ok, and what else would I need to fit it as currently its fitted with the steering wheel fitting boss kit for my MOMO. Thanks, Dan

Mk5 and mk6 golf / scirocco steering wheels have all been fitted before, seen a Lupo with an Audi s3 (I think) too. On all the above you need to modify the airbag connection, rewire the horn earthing wire and in some cases modify the steering wheel boss to get it to fit flush. All perfectly doable though :)

My old Mk6 golf r-line wheel..

http://s172.photobucket.com/albums/w39/inkexpress_photos/Lupo%20GTI/?action=view&current=_MG_4207.jpg

Alex

Edited by fatttty

steering looks great on stalkers loop, but what the f**K do you do with all the stereo controls?

i asked her and she said they arent connected which is a shame

yea i know, that's the only thing i didn't like tbf. if you could blank them off it would be cool i guess?

Yeah i had mine removed, plastic welded the panel and painted...

_MG_4207.jpg

• 3 years later...
On 15/05/2012 at 8:49 AM, fatttty said:

Yeah i had mine removed, plastic welded the panel and painted...

_MG_4207.jpg

Loving the central column! how did you get it looking like that if you don't mind me asking? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/05/2016 at 8:59 PM, kasia said:

Loving the central column! how did you get it looking like that if you don't mind me asking? 

It was rubbed down, painted red, then a pin stripe tape applied before being painted gloss black, tape removed to leave the red pin striping and the whole things given several coats of lacquer. It was professionally done so a much better finish than would be achieved with rattle cans. Alex

• 4 months later...