Engine Management Problem

kitkat27

So i drove to lunch today, parked, went away came back, and tried to drive off again, and i managed it, but it felt like i was driving in 4th instead of 1st... (was in a car park at 10mph) so i thought it was weird, and i checked my handbrake too, so i stopped, got out checked all my tyres and any obvious signs of damage nothing...

SO i managed to drive back to college and it was fine except the engine management light came on... and stayed on... and htere was a weird smell at one point but that might not be related.

Anyways, i came out about 2 hours later, to drive home and the light was off.... and it was fine...

It did this to my dad before but we're not very sure what it is, he thinks its electrical and next time it happens its going in for a service, but i was wondering if this has happend to any of you, or somthing similar...

Thanks! :)

Get the codes read as a first port of call

Thanks for the advice. :)

I have VagCom so if you need a scan done give us a shout.

Cool, my friend actually has one too (just found out yesterday) so i might be getting it checked there but thanks for the offer... :)

• 1 month later...

So i finally got around to getting the codes read.... Fuel Filter problem.... Brilliant... and the Haynes Manuel (for the Polo) says 'many of the operations described in this chapter involve the disconnection of fuel lines which may cause an amount of fuel spillage' Yeah i don't think i'm going to be doing that myself... as much as i'd like to, i think its too much of a risk...

its not that bad, it will leak a bit but to stop people stealing fuel it wont empty the tank and probably wont let any fuel out from the tank, just what's in the Lines.

Have a go :) will save you some money!

I changed mine, just keep your face away from it when you pull off the pipe from the fuel tank (the rear one) or you'll get petrol in your face - it stings & gives you a headache if you get it in your eyes like I did :lol: Actually I think the Haynes manual tells you a couple of ways of depressurizing the system first, forgot to take mine with me or I'd have done so.

Edited by Koop

its not that bad, it will leak a bit but to stop people stealing fuel it wont empty the tank and probably wont let any fuel out from the tank, just what's in the Lines.

Ah ok thats not as bad as it sounds in the book.... Still its the whole risk factor... Tho i do know folk who would help me change it... so we'll see

I changed mine, just keep your face away from it when you pull off the pipe from the fuel tank (the rear one) or you'll get petrol in your face - it stings & gives you a headache if you get it in your eyes like I did :lol: Actually I think the Haynes manual tells you a couple of ways of depressurizing the system first, forgot to take mine with me or I'd have done so.

Yeah i'm thinkning face protection and gloves if i do it... :L Yeah it does... i just haven't read them yet! :L

Ah ok thats not as bad as it sounds in the book.... Still its the whole risk factor... Tho i do know folk who would help me change it... so we'll see

Yeah i'm thinkning face protection and gloves if i do it... :L Yeah it does... i just haven't read them yet! :L