swirls

kalum-arosa

Regards removing swirls from paint work you have to be careful on what products you go for as some contamination fillers. I haven't removed swirls by hand myself, I use a DA-S6 polisher. I have used poor boys swirl remover to remove swirls and Menzerna products to refine the finish. This leaves me with a good surface to move forward with. I do know that sme of the Meguiars products do contain fillers. Also the Poorboys says I can be used by hand.

I hope this helps.

Joe

Is stuff like meguirs and poorboys by hand not more cost effective though? I know by machine it's a lot better but to buy one is expensive ad to get someone else to do it isn't cheap either.

I know you're not getting perfection by hand at all but you can get a decent finish.

Jus went too purchase one and they are currently out of stock haha, jus my luck.

Thanks for the help jo, btw your car is always gleaming

Haha cheers dude :) means a lot. Watch out for updates soon :)

Edited by Lupo-Joe

Yeah a rotary will do, I wouldn't use it over speed setting two tho.

Why wouldnt you use it over speed setting 2?

Do you actually know how to use a rotary?

If speed 1 is 1000RPM I'd imagine speed 2 is around 1250RPM at a rough guess.

You wont correct **** with the rotary on that speed unless you use a compound thats designed to be worked at that speed like CarPro Fixer, all it'll be doing is spreading the polish around with very minimal cut.

I'd do a couple passes at that speed to work the polish then crank it up to 1500RPM for the "cutting'" stage of the polishing set and do a good 8-10 passes before bringing the speed back down to 1400 for a few passes to fully work the abrasives then back down to the lowest speed setting to finish down for a couple passes.

Edited by aaronhtid

Jus went too purchase one and they are currently out of stock haha, jus my luck.

Thanks for the help jo, btw your car is always gleaming

They wont be back in stock as Menzerna are bringing out new pads.

I'd go with CG Hex Logic pads, yellow, green n black. Or Lake Country pads.

If your seriously a beginner I would practice on a scrap panel with the rotary before attacking your car.

What brand of rotary do you have?

Do you have a decent backing plate?

Edited by aaronhtid

Hi aaron, i dont have a clue what make rotary it is i had it off my brother who said he bought it off an autosmart van that comes around our area? And i dont know what sort of backing plate it has either. Im jus thinking of letting a proffesional do it tbh but id like to have a go myself.

Hi aaron, i dont have a clue what make rotary it is i had it off my brother who said he bought it off an autosmart van that comes around our area? And i dont know what sort of backing plate it has either. Im jus thinking of letting a proffesional do it tbh but id like to have a go myself.

In all honesty, get a pro to do a correction detail then afterwards you can enjoy keeping it mint with the 2 bucket method n keep the protection topped up etc :)

Why wouldnt you use it over speed setting 2?

Do you actually know how to use a rotary?

If speed 1 is 1000RPM I'd imagine speed 2 is around 1250RPM at a rough guess.

You wont correct **** with the rotary on that speed, all it'll be doing is spreading the polish around with very minimal cut.

I'd do a couple passes at that speed to work the polish then crank it up to 1800RPM for the "cutting'" stage of the polishing set and do a good 8-10 passes before bringing the speed back down to 1400 for a few passes to fully work the abrasives then back down to the lowest speed setting to finish down for a couple passes.

I use a DA at home and a rotary at work at speed setting 2 & 3 with G3 and finesse and it works extremely well. :)

I have to say I prefers my DA tho :P

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I came across this while looking on the internet for things to get rid of swirls. Okay it goes into a lot of detail, but by the looks of it works wonders! can't wait until the summer to actually do it and make my baby shine! :D

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=63859