Door Problems

ArosaCal

Hi Guys and Girls,

I'm having two problems with my drivers side door, on my 1998 arosa if anybody could help it would be a great help,

Number 1, the door pin to lock the car will not push down, the only way you can move it is by turning the key, is there anything i can do to make it work again?

and the slightly more important number 2, the door, when shutting it, goes stiff at 3 points, like it catches on something, my friend says the hinges are gone, but i think its a different part, i know what it is, but don't know how to describe it so I've taken a photo, please could you tell me its technical name and if anyone knows it, its part number. also if anyone else has had door hinge problems, please share

100_2001.jpg

Thanks

Callum

It's quite a common fault. I'm sure someone else will go into detail as im not to sure on what goes wrong but I think there's a easy fix in the 'how to' section. It's technical name is the door check strap. If you replace it your stiffness will be gone.

Hit up Lupoboz in the traders section rather than heading to the stealers ;)

I thought so but wasn't sure & didn't want to give you duff info lol

I didn't realise I had a rear washer til someone posted on here about theirs not working haha

When you say it goes stiff do you mean holds its own weight at 3 points? or is it actually difficult to shut... because its meant to be able to hold its own weight at 3 points lol, its broken when it doesnt

Hi ArosaCal,

It sounds to me that a new check strap is required, as they do become tired, especially upon the drivers's side. A new check strap from me is £20.00 including the VAT and postage. Which are in stock and ready to post.

l can include a fitting guide, if you fancy fitting it yourself. It's a 10 minute job for a competant mechanic.

Let me know if you'd like to order one of these. Payment is made via Paypal, with payments being sent over as 'a gift' please to my account (as it saves on fees this way) to include your mailing address.

The Paypal email address is; dalespiers@hotmail.com

Regards, Dale.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

i need a new check strap aswell , but the problem is the bolt in the middle ( shown in arosacal's picture ) has threaded and wont tighten or loosen ... kinda wondering what the feck im going to do ? any help for me would be apprieciated

Hi WightmanMk2,

You could try a new pinch bolt, as the bolts are made of an alloy, which do wear so tightening the one you have will only wear it even more, lol. As the pins have a dual thread upon them. Is the check strap upon your Arosa still performing okay? As you may as well replace both if it's not.

Let me know as and when. Or if you'd like to order one, as the straps l sell all come with the bolts, or l can sell just the bolt on it's own if you like. The payment details are as above. Thanks!

Regards, Lupoboz.

Edited by Lupoboz

• 9 months later...

Sorry to resurrect this old thread but I'm also having door grief, the bottom hinge pin is badly worn allowing the door to drop, reading through the threads on here I've decided I need a new hinge but rather more worrying is the U shaped bracket on the door post, mine is detached and makes a horrid noise when the door is opened/closed. Can someone tell me if this is supposed to be welded in place or if there's some way of fixing it. It's driving me potty!

Thanks.

Oops! Just noticed this is in the Arosa section, mines a Lupo but I guess it's the same!

Edited by Renard27

• 1 month later...

Sorry to resurrect this old thread but I'm also having door grief, the bottom hinge pin is badly worn allowing the door to drop, reading through the threads on here I've decided I need a new hinge but rather more worrying is the U shaped bracket on the door post, mine is detached and makes a horrid noise when the door is opened/closed. Can someone tell me if this is supposed to be welded in place or if there's some way of fixing it. It's driving me potty!

Thanks.

Oops! Just noticed this is in the Arosa section, mines a Lupo but I guess it's the same!

I have the same problem that the U shaped bracket is detached. Have you ever found out how to fix the bracket?

• 3 weeks later...

I've got driver door problems too, a gust of wind took a linking to my drivers door and the u shaped hinge/bracket that holds the check strap in place snapped clean off! The check strap is still there (inside the door) but the door is just floating at the min.... Anyone know if there's a replacement part/part number for this or do I need to get the welder out? Thanks

Edited by eyechronic

I don't think there is a replacement for it as there is no way to get at the bracket! It will have to be welded.

I just had the detached driver's side bracet welded today and now opening and closing the door is completely silent! The passenger side bracket is fine and after I fitted a new door check strap (I did put a lot of grease on the strap though) the noise disappeared.

The noise the new strap made was real bad I took it out and only fitted it back a couple of days before getting the bracket welded. The mechanic actually called me to ask if I had fitted a new strap to the driver's side before he starting welding because it was making a hell of a noise!

The guy welded the bracket onto the body from the outside. It is not pretty but it is out of sight but I think it is a small price to pay for smooth opening and closing of the door!

Good Luck with the welding but if you want the noise to go away the only way is to replace the door check strap. It costs just over £20 from the stealers.

• 10 months later...