Tyre - Slow Leak

danoid

The tyre on my passat keeps slowing leaking a few PSI per week, but all others are fine.

You might think "it's the tyre" but it's been doing it for the last 3 years with different tyres on.

I'm due for a new set again and was wondering if there's anything they can do? Shall I mention it loses some PSI and there's something they can do differently?

What's your thoughts?

First try and clean all the muck off the inside wheel lip\tyre seat. You can get quite a lot of crap build up in there which may effect your seal.

Then check for damage to the lips of your tyres wheels.

...I am assuming you have changed the valves.

Is this something the tyre people will/should do? I always take mine to Protyre as they've been excelletn for me, it's just the one alloy that does it :/

It's the fact it's done it for different tyres on the same alloy (different manufactures etc) I'm thinking there must be something wrong with the alloy itself :/

It's not a massive biggey just annoying!

Yes as they'll have to break the bead to do it. A bit of spirit based cleaner and elbow grease should remove any gunk.

You could take your wheel off and put it in the bath and look for the bubbles. Mark it with chalk and then you'll know where to look.

its highly likely to be the valve. . . unless your wheel is not sealing against the tyre as one of mine on my Lotus wasnt....found out the wheel wasnt quite round !!!

Does the wheel need a load of wheel wieghts to balance it? That could be an indication that the wheel is not as it should be.

Check the valves and clean the wheel bead up properly as suggested above and see if the tyre still leaks. If it does it's time for a new wheel.

I'm a tyre fitter every one who's posted is right but just one other thing the wheel could have an air line crack in it the only way to find out is but in water and see were the bubbles come from . Failing that slough tyres ask for adam ( lol )

ah, I still don't think it's the vavle as they change it when the tyre is changed (or say they do) and like I said i've have two or 3 different tyres on over the years and it's always leaked.

Might take it off this afternoon and see, or just mention it when I get the replacement tyres next week or so.

Thanks!

On my classis car, both my rear alloys were doing this. Once the tyres were removed, l found the lacquered finsh upon the wheel lips was flaking off, as the wheels had beome 'pourous', where by air ingress was getting through the lacquer and causing a very slow puncture. l had both wheels refurbished (as new ones could no longer be obtained) by Spit & Polish, of Kent. Where they put a couple of extra layers of lacquer upon the rim lips and the problem has never returned and that was three years ago now.

What sort of wheels does your Passat have, alloy or steel? l should imagin that they're alloys, lol.

Regards, Dale.