MOT query.

JensonLEi

if your car has a warning light for the air bag being in fault if you went say, a momo then its an automatic fail. also the boot is 110% fail. all handles or access routes must be able to open from inside and out. the boot is classed as a door. you better watch out for your future mods as the regs are being tightened up.

also size does not matter one bit.

if your car has a warning light for the air bag being in fault if you went say, a momo then its an automatic fail. also the boot is 110% fail. all handles or access routes must be able to open from inside and out. the boot is classed as a door. you better watch out for your future mods as the regs are being tightened up.

also size does not matter one bit.

I thought the bootlid only needed to be securely latched?

if it come as standard then yes it needs to be there. For instance I used to remove my rear seats and belts as my front seats are not adjustable but they will be bending me over and pulling ones pants down next year. basically I can't remember the detail in the wording but if the car had an airbag, you cant say it is not there so it can't be tested. Its either there to be tested, inoperative or removed to avoid being tested and thus a fail. so next year the standard seats will be in. the seat belts must be there as they were standard.

the rear bootlid must open on a lupo, the spare tyre is in the boot to be tested also the tester needs to test the fixings off the rear of the seat and also the hinge points of all access area.

You may be lucky & just get advisories, not sure the new rules have fully come into effect yet.

The boot is not considered a door (technically it's a hatchback and not a door) both your doors have to be opened from the inside and out.

I very much doubt the size of a steering wheel will matter.

It's all the other new rules for an MOT that you should be worried about :o

Under the new rules the boot has to operate & airbags have to be present if they were there out of the factory (not sure if they'll check anything other than the airbag light coming on then going off again when the ignition is switched on though). From 1st January anything falling foul of the new rules should be an advisory, then a fail after they come fully into force which was supposed to be 'late spring'

I've just read up on the air bag bit, it says,

"As far as practicable, check that all airbags fitted as original equipment are present and not obviously defective"

This to me would mean if ur car came with a airbag it will need it to pass, but then under the reasons for rejection bit it says,

"An airbag obviously missing or defective"

So if you have a wheel fitted that is ment to have a airbag but it's not there then this would be obvious.

Personally, as an mot tester myself, I'd only fail a car if it had a wheel fitted that was ment to have a airbag but it wasn't there. Very OBVIOUS!!

Koop, I wish I could. It would be a dream come true if I could test all the nice looking loop's on here.

Silver, this is true. But nobody from VOSA told me about it, I herd it was gonner happen and today I decided to have a look coz I read JensonLEi's post. Chances are most mot testers will miss this for quite a while.

You could take the bulb out and say the car has no srs ( safety restraint system ) fitted at all. If the cars not fitted with it it can't be tested for it.

Chances are most mot testers will miss this for quite a while.

:winning: ;)

hi my lupo has a tiny momo wheeel on :) the airbag lights up with all warning lights then goes out when you start!! so i assume the wiring has been modded in the centre hub some how??? and it has passed the last 3 mots with no probs :)

Yeah you have an airbag boss, which is basically a boss with a resistor inside :) what people are suggesting here is, even though you haven warning lights etc, the fact that you don't had an airbag at all may go against you under new regs :(

This is the resistor I was talking about, see I wasn't going mad :lol:

Yeah we are talking about the one in the steering wheel, many people switch to momo (or similar) wheels, these wheels are great but have no airbag.

This is the resistor I was talking about, see I wasn't going mad :lol:

IIRC the difference between one with a resistor and one without is like £15!

Crikey that's a seriously pricey resistor :surprised:

Taking the bulb out won't work danoid, new rules have been brought in to stop this, the airbag light now has to come on then go off.