Direct Access Scheme.....changes !!

d4n91

Just been looking at doing my DAS course as I've turned 21 to find that the rules change in January 2013 and say if you haven't passed by then you have to wait till your 24 :( hence to say I'm I. A serious saving mission and selling the coilovers off the gti to fund the £700 course :( just thought I'd let others know who may be thinking about it

A bike only goes as fast as you make it go, and restricting a 600 for example to 33bhp in my eyes is more dangerous. Taking away the power which in some instances is needed to avoid trouble

A restricted bike still gives very good performance compared to cars. It will still offer a high top speed of around 100 ish and will get there in no time. The reason for the restriction is to stop stupid young riders jumping onto a powerful bike and potentially killing themselves. I used to be one and crashed 3 times in my youth and I'm not proud of them but have 7 years riding experience now.

A bike only goes as fast as you make it go, and restricting a 600 for example to 33bhp in my eyes is more dangerous. Taking away the power which in some instances is needed to avoid trouble

I don't agree with restricting a 600 to 33bhp. You'd get away with something like a VFR400 on your 33bhp license, which is an excellent first bike and plenty quick enough.

Over 70% of motorcycle deaths are riders who have had had their license for 3 years or less.

Eh? Sure any bike around that power as standard can 'get out of trouble' unless you've done something stupid where you're ****ed no-matter what lol?!

You're only really losing your top speed and a bit of high end rev. its not dead from the moment you turn the throttle.

I'm a hefty lad tbh mate and I'm a sensible driver and know the bike will only go as fast as I make it. I just thought I'd put this up to anymore who wants to get there das done before the rules change like me. I do t want to start the age old argument on 'you get a 600/1000 supersports bike for a first bike and you'll crash' as with everything it will only go as fast as you make it

Yeah i agree entirely mate, but there's also getting used to the weight/feel of a bike. TBH im relatively new to bikes myself and know ive to learn still (hindsight is a wonderful thing even at my age lol), so didnt want to pour money into something i might damage in my first while on the road (id cry my lamps out even more if wrecked a fairly brand spanker bike), super cheap on insurance (as far as that scam goes) and tax too :D

Edited by DaddyC

I don't agree with restricting a 600 to 33bhp. You'd get away with something like a VFR400 on your 33bhp license, which is an excellent first bike and plenty quick enough

There's nothing wrong with restricting a Suzuki bandit 600, which alot of motorcyclists do...

I did my 33bhp test at 17, was derestricted by 19 and bought a brand spanking new ninja 636, then when I was 21 I got a new R1.

An R1 at 21 was pretty epic and I was stupid enough to see some ridiculous speeds on the road on both the R1 and 636.

Yeah i agree entirely mate, but there's also getting used to the weight/feel of a bike. TBH im relatively new to bikes myself and know ive to learn still (hindsight is a wonderful thing even at my age lol), so didnt want to pour money into something i might damage in my first while on the road (id cry my lamps out even more if wrecked a fairly brand spanker bike), super cheap on insurance (as far as that scam goes) and tax too :D

What bike you end up gettin then mate ??

I did my 33bhp test at 17, was derestricted by 19 and bought a brand spanking new ninja 636, then when I was 21 I got a new R1.

An R1 at 21 was pretty epic and I was stupid enough to see some ridiculous speeds on the road on both the R1 and 636.

Oh my nice bike history that.........what was your bike choice when restricted ??

• 2 weeks later...

I would take the full test. It gives you options then. He hasn't said what bike he is going to buy yet. Everyone assumes sports bike! I love the Ducati monster 796. It's only about 80bhp but it's loads of fun and I would have no worries putting a newly qualified learner on it. It's very very easy to ride.

I did full test and went onto a brand new 600RR. I was taken out by a car on a round about 6 days later when I was almost stationary. Infact all my crashes have been sub 30mph and caused by careless driving of car drivers. None were speed related or my fault. If you buy a bike expect to crash. That's why I spent £1000s on top of the line protective clothing.