Notched chassis and new MOT laws

not sure if this has been posted before but reading through the new 2012 MOT regs it seems that all cars that have had chassis notches will require an IVA test.

details here

http://www.edition38.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=381364

to quote :

Your car WILL need an IVA if you:

•C notch the chassis legs for driveshaft clearance

•Raise the strut tops

•Modify the floor or bulkhead

•Chop the roof off/convert to a pickup

•Cut the outer arch lip for tyre clearance/to fit a wide arch kit, as this is classed as a structural area

•Modify any part of the monocoque

and their not cheap either:

Costs

The costs of an IVA test are fairly high, around £450 (no vat), then £99 (no vat) for a re-test if you fail.

All the idiots around with more negative camber than a ski slope, stretched tyres, ill-fitting wheels, chasis nothces, lowriders etc are going to have major issues come MOT time.

A few more Dubs may be appearing on the scrap heap i feel?

All the idiots around with more negative camber than a ski slope, stretched tyres, ill-fitting wheels, chasis nothces, lowriders etc are going to have major issues come MOT time.

Wah? Nice way to put everyone who modifies cars in the same box.

I love how they seem to be using very vague terminology. "Inadequate Clearance", what exactly is Inadequate?

Oh well, it'll still be the same thing of winding the suspension up for MOT time and winding it down after the car passes.

Aye fill in your notches with papier maché at MOT time kids :lol:

Edited by Koop

Also, this:

•Cut the outer arch lip for tyre clearance/to fit a wide arch kit, as this is classed as a structural area

How the hell is the outer arch structural?

Once again a bunch of doddery old fools making rules up for things they have no understanding of.

Wah? Nice way to put everyone who modifies cars in the same box.

These new rules might make people modify their cars a bit more safely, that's all.

It will hopefully put an end to this god awfull, 'stretched tyre/low as ****' modified scene, that has been done to death.

From what i gather, the following mods are still legal, which i consider to be amongst the most effective;

Uprated dampers

Small amount of lowering

OEM wheels

Remap

ARB

Big brakes

Interior (not affecting airbags)

Exhausts (as long as not decat)

The only thing that will affect the majority of dub owbers is the regs against excessive lowering and everything that goes with it.

It does seem like they are trying to change the rules in the middle of the game, very slap dash as i know they couldnt be specific on clearances due to it more then likely voiding sports/supercars EU approved designs.

What they really need to do is start a new standard for new cars and create a database off that.

I'm happy about the chassis notches though as that stops people effectivly weakening a structual part of the car.

But being excessively low.. Is cool ;)

Done right its ok, ie air ride etc but doing it on the cheap with £200 coilovers is just asking for trouble.

Anything touching the wheel is an MOT fail anyhow, but they obviousdly don't test to the full.

Guy on SVAG got pulled a couple of years back and the constable asked him to put full lock on his wheels. Tyre rubbed on the arch liner.

He got the offer of fixing it there and then or get it picked up on a low lowder.

He sat on the side of the road and removed his arch liner. Constable was happy and let him on his way.

These new rules might make people modify their cars a bit more safely, that's all.

It will hopefully put an end to this god awfull, 'stretched tyre/low as ****' modified scene, that has been done to death.

From what i gather, the following mods are still legal, which i consider to be amongst the most effective;

Uprated dampers

Small amount of lowering

OEM wheels

Remap

ARB

Big brakes

The only thing that will affect the majority of dub owbers is the regs against excessive lowering and everything that goes with it.

My low as **** car with stretched tyres failed the MOT in February. With what? Windscreen wipers, washer fluid, and side lights not working.

You remind me of the guys on BarryBoys :shifty:

Wish I read this last weekend, just got my chassis notched and my m.o.t is July, ffs!

Get friendly with your tester & let us know how you get on dude

Uprated dampers

Small amount of lowering

OEM wheels

Remap

ARB

Big brakes

Well its a good job noone gives a **** what you think then isn't it.

I wonder if you plated it with some spot welds, and said it was for added strength :P then, easy to rip off afterwards. lol the things we have to do these days to get around the Rules and Regs (notches and decats and stretch etc) i feel like this:

PF-Del-Boy_1235471c.jpg

^ :lol:

i think the chassis notch is the major killer for quite a lot of people, just have to find a nice tester

me included... it isnt worth all the hastle for a little gain really... iv opted for bigger wheels instead to make up the difference.

funny how people cant see it in the same way... instead of talking **** all the time about how low people "should" be...

Theres a difference between telling people to stay within the law and telling them to get:

Uprated dampers

Small amount of lowering

OEM wheels

Remap

ARB

Big brakes

Thats your opinion, and you talk like you're better than everyone else. I love my car, I'm only young and one day ill have a GTI. It'll be sweet and i won't go around pretending I'm some sort of engineering god (who knows **** all).

I think you'll find the dvla/police/Iva tester 'gives a ****.'

You carry on lowering your EPIC CAR!

corrected that for you ;)

i have a gti that is silly low... does this apply for me too?

Doesn't matter what size engine you have, everyone is part of the same community and all enjoy the same things, modifying cars. Why not goto your garage where you want to take it for its MOT and ask them, I know mine has dub friendly staff which many of them have mk1s and stuff.

Just got to ask them, I know my garage said they haven't had any problems with the new MOT regs but most of their cars are of a high class, but took all my cars there including my classic minis, my mk2s they have no problem with my cars been low but not sure about the c notch. Better off going to ask them...