Seats

danoid

Sat in an UP! the other day, I really liked it apart from one thing. The driver seat is not height adjustable! Which I find odd and surely almost illegal as you may not be the correct height at all, and must be a nightmare when selling as the potential buyer has to be the correct height aswell.

The only way "around" it, is to buy the model up as it has height adjusters.

Is this legal/safe?

Just curious on everyone elses thoughts

Height adjustable seats are a relatively recent development, cars & drivers got along without them for many many years

This has got to be the stupidest thread in quite a long time.

I saw a 1971 Mini today.

Drum brakes all round, no ABS, no power steering, a choke, no reversing lights, no fog light, only four gears, no seat belts in the back, no head restraints in the front.

All totally legal.

How is it a stupid thread?

Not being able to correct position your seat is going to be dangerous for the smaller folk and I can't believe it's allowed.

Just saying this car should be good and not a no-frills car!

How is it dangerous? You can move the seat forward to a comfortable position relative to the pedals & steering wheel. If you're then too short to see over the steering wheel get the presumably optional height adjustable seat. Or a cushion. Or a different car.

^ Exactly my point!

VW have made the lowest Up too much of a no-frill car and making you buy a completly different spec car (iirc there wasn't an option for the height adjuster) it's just annoying me

P.S - I will never buy the car, I'm just playing devils advocate :P

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry no good at down loading pics. Our hi up replaces the tdi sport.Obviously the engines have very different characteristics,you really need to keep the revs up & anticpate the road ahead it won't slog like the TDI but when you get used to it it will move along a & b roads well.The steering & handling are a great .The engine sound is not as good as you would like but not bad for a city car & it is quiet when cruising.

The one downside for us is the seating,there is no memory for positioning backrest or squab so every time you need to go into the back you have to reset also they only slide they dont tip as on the lupo.Access to the back is restricted but when your in its fine(3door).Interior & boot space is very good.

The window switches only operate on each door no dual action on the drivers door or illumination at night.& they are hold to run.No one touch.

On the good side the seats are heated ,you have cruise control,parking sensors,a very nice satnav/computer & no spare wheel unless you pay £50 for it.

Seriously it is a very good car for the money it cost the same as the Lupo new in 2001.,we are ave.55mpg not run in & i have not driven my Scirocco since the up arrived (4wks) it is a fun car & i believe a true replacement for Lupo.