Changing Subframe

Hi CL,

Recently did this to my subframe on a raised manhole cover

IMG00101-20120305-1718.jpg

Just wondering if anyone had changed a subframe before and could explain how to do it? Or if there is already a topic with instructions...I did try to find one though and had no luck.

Also if someone has a subframe and lower arms w/ ball joints for a 1999 1.0e, i would be willing to buy! Especially as VW want £180 for the subframe alone!

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks, Mike

i had to change my mk1 arosa subframe but cant remember excact things but i no there was a big cylinder shaped thing to unbolt and then just like 4 or 6 normal bolts holding the subframe on

bbcd7f5d.jpg

mine faild mot for that crease in the subframe

01510c40.jpg

just about enough room on axle stands haha

@ ELZ 16v,

That looks bad! Haha i will have to do it on axle stands as well...fun :rolleyes: Assuming you needed to take the steering rack off the subframe? I might need a new driver side lower arm too, looks like the bush has been smashed.

Did you have any issues with the subframe bolts lining up with the body when you put the new one on? I have a feeling it might have pushed one of my bolts back slightly :unsure:

i cant remember anything to do with te steering rack sorry.. and i no it was a bit of a pain to get the bolts in but nothing major all in i think it took about 3 hours but we were waiting for the subframe for a little bit i paid £60 for a second hand one from car transplants or as you said near 3 times that amount for one through my stepbrothers garage even with discount but i may need another one soon :/

Im looking into getting a used one, you got a good deal at £60! I'll have to keep my eyes peeled and hope someone has one for sale :innocent:

Edited by MikeW

• 3 months later...

Bit of a thread revival,

I now have the subframe! so hoping to fit it soon. I know ELZ 16v gave a rough description on how to change it, but does anyone have a proper guide? Would save me a load of money to do it myself with some friends, just want to know how its done.

This isn't to say we aren't capable enough... But we just want to do it properly :lol:

Any help is appreciated,

Mike

Once you get under the car you'll see it's pretty straight forward.

Just undo everything that holds it on and replace with the new unit. The trickiest part could be the bolts that go into the chassis legs, if the captive nuts have come off you'll have to cut them off and open the chassis leg up to weld on a new captive nut (although I drove around for over a year with 1 missing so it's quite safe with only one!).

i may be too late with this but i got a manual from e.manualsonline.com , its vag info and tells you exactly how to do your job. it's only about a tenner too, much cheaper than a haynes (which you can't get for the lupo) geoff (sophie's mechanic)